Which printer to choose along with the new 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Agnel, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Agnel macrumors member

Guys,

I'm planning to get one soon, but I'm a little confused about the printers. Some of the reviews say, that these are pathetic printers and doesn't get along with the software.

# Epson Artisan 50 InkJet Printer [Add $99.95]
    # Epson Stylus NX510 All-in-One Printer [Add $129.95]
    # Epson WorkForce 615 All-in-One Printer [Add $199.95]

These are the options available.

I'm looking to connect it to the network wired/wireless and share it between 4-5 laptops (at home). There is another MB, and 2-3 windows PCs.

Is it worth buying? Or should I chuck this option and buy a better All in one Printer elsewhere?

Thanks in Advance :)

2. anthongy817 macrumors newbie

Laser is the way to go.

3. carrodan macrumors newbie

A Lot More Options

If you click on "see all printers" a bit above the "none" option in the printer selection section, there are a bunch more options for you to choose from. I dunno how they choose the three printers that are on the customization screen, but on the page with all the printers you can sort by customer rating, best-selling, price, etc.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you go to this page :apple: Current Apple Rebates under the section on the left entitled Online Rebates below the paragraph entitled Printer Promotion is a link labeled Terms and conditions apply.* That link will take you to a PDF with all the tems and conditions as well as the full list of printers available under the promotion.

I don't have any first hand experience with either of these because at present I'm also looking, but the Canon PIXMA MP560 ($149.95 before rebate) is highly rated and I believe would meet your needs.

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I actually have the NX510, got it from Best buy months ago. I haven't had a complaint. The wife uses the scanner a lot for her work, but I use the heck out of wireless printing. Ink burns through pretty quick if you're printing a lot (obviously right)...but moderate printing lasts a while.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I work in EasyTech at staples, and I sell the NX510 and WorkForce 615. I'd take the WorkForce 615, as it has more features, and is more user friendly. Both the NX and WorkForce use Epsons Claria inks which are pigment based as opposed to dye based inks found in most printers. This means those printers will come out waterproof and smear proof, and mostly dry right away, on plain paper. The Artisan series uses Dye based ink, but provides much superior image quality (at least the newer ones, like the artisan 810 I own), however, they are a little pricier to print (not sure what Ink the 50 uses, so I'm basing this off the 810).

As far as laser is concerned, most inkjet printers these days (including the ones you are looking at) print faster than most lasers, and as fast as the fastest lasers. They have much cheaper cartridges, and really only lose out on their cartridge yields (high volume ink cartridges are available which lessens the gap some). I tend to tell customers than unless they need the printer for a business which is printing thousands of pages per month, inkjet is a better option for them. I will say laser is a more accurate tech, and provides clearer prints, but it isn't generally noticeable to most people.

So I guess to sum it up, I'd say go with the workforce, unless image quality is of concern to you. Epsons provide some of the best photo printing on the market, but the Epson Artisan 810 is one of the best, better than the ones you have here