Which printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by migulic, Jun 7, 2008.

1. migulic macrumors member

I'm planning to by a new multifunctional device (printer-scanner-copier) and I've decided on Canon - I've heard a lot of good things about their OS X support, ink costs and the fact that each of the color inks is in a separate cartridge, as opposed to HP which I've used up to now. Right now I have a HP PSC 1210 but I cannot get it to scan under Leopard, and it doesn't work so well anymore.

I usually print text (school assignments) and photos (but not too much), I also do a lot of scanning so I would prefer the scans to be good quality. I've been looking at the Canon Pixma MP520 or Pixma MP610. The price difference between those two is 50 euros, and I wonder whether any additional features of the MP610 are worth this price for my use.

Which one of those two would you recommend?

2. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I have the Canon Pixma MX700 and absolutely LOVE it. Network printing and scanning was a breeze to setup and I have had zero issues with it.

Open box ones are available from newegg for around $95 right now.

3. davidg14 macrumors newbie

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have a Pixma MP760 (a few years old) but it still works great. I highly recommend Canon as I have never had any trouble with them.

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Excelent way to save money on ink and even beter scanner.

6. migulic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, but that didn't really answer my question. I'll try to rephrase it.

I'm deciding betweeen 2 all-in-ones (I'm already set on Canon) - the Pixma MP520 which costs 149 euros and the Pixma MP610 which costs 189 euros. Is the difference between them big enough to justify the price difference? In other words, which one of those two would give me better value for money?

7. ed2008 macrumors newbie

I have the Canon PIXMA iP4500 for a couple years now. It's been working great. Besides, the cost of the ink cartridge is low. My 2cents of advice would be - DON'T BUY EXPENSIVE printer. It's changed so quickly like PC and camera. But a good and cheap printer and use it for a few years, then buy another one... Expensive printer like laser printer uses expensive laser toner...