Which Pro or hackintosh for these needs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thegame46, Mar 4, 2009.

1. thegame46 macrumors newbie

I was waiting so anxiously for the MP refresh, but when I saw the base Octo was 2.26 instead of 2.66, I was really disappointed. I going to get a base machine and upgrade the Ram/HD.

My main reason I need an upgrade is I got a MBP 2.5ghz about 4 months ago so I could do some things on keynote and imovie for work. But the conversion process between the ilife programs ( keynote to quicktime, to imovie to idvd) processes take way to ***** long. it's rediculous! I do lots of short video presentations and burn them to dvd for my employees. My last one probably took 12 hours of processing time all together and its a real pain. Which configuration is going to give me the best improvement for the $$

2. thegame46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok no takers?
    I guess I'll clarify my ? a little more.

I can't find out which apps will actually work better with multiple-cores, multiple threads, or just higher clock speeds, so I can justify which version to purchase :confused:

3. pprior macrumors 65816

How long of presentations are we talking about? I would bet you have some settings that you could improve that would drastically speed up your process w/o buying additional hardware. for example - are you keeping resolutions the same on both ends? Transcoding frame by frame takes a TON of processing power, and if you are creating with the intent of DVD, best to make everything the right resolution to start, and you will cut times drastically.