Which process handles external drive management?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rerelease, Nov 13, 2010.

1. rerelease macrumors regular

I have an external hard drive, but it seems to be either corrupt or malfunctioning in some other way. When I plug it in it works fine for a while, but soon after I get a "Disk was not properly ejected" error.

If I try to unplug and plug the disk in again, Finder won't recognise it until I've rebooted my computer.

I can't be bothered rebooting all the time, so is there a process I could kill instead that would relaunch itself and start off "fresh"?

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You could try relaunching the Finder. Either:

Hold the Option key, click and hold on the Dock icon and choose "Relaunch"

or

Apple Menu>Force Quit... , choose Finder and click Relaunch.

Obiovusly none if this will fix your misbehaving disk itself, but I assume you know that and are trying Disk Utility, Disk Warrior etc. :)

3. rerelease thread starter macrumors regular

'killall Finder' was the first thing I tried, I'm afraid. But thanks for the input.

I've looked into the problem some more and concluded that it's probably a hardware problem. Not with the disk itself, but the enclosure I'm using for it.

Somehow I got the disk reformatted and repartitioned to a single HFS+ partition (which previously crashed Disk Utility), so I guess this issue is not really that important anymore. I'll see if it remains trouble free or not.