Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruslev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I am finally upgrading to an iMac and I need some help. I was looking at the 21in ones and I have a choice of processors 3.06 Ghz and the 3.2 Ghz (and even the i5 3.6 Ghz). Should I pay the extra $300 and move from the 3.06 Ghz to the 3.2?
For this computer, I will be doing photo stuff and some video. Family things - nothing for work or commercial use...

Or should I opt for more memory instead and not worry about the processor.
From studing Apple, processor choice seems to help keep the machine current (or pertinent) longer than anything else......

The low level iMac seems ok, but should I bump up to the next level machine. Thanks

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
A friend of mine has the 21.2in 3.2Ghz model with 4GB RAM. I have the 21.5in 3.06Ghz with 8GB RAM.

Comparing both machines, running Aperture (we have similar amount of pics) and Videos, as the saying goes, "A blind man would like to see the difference!".

Personally, I have no regrets in going for the "cheaper" model with the option of increasing the RAM as and if required.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I think you will gain more by adding more memory. When I work with my Canon 5DII RAW files in Lightroom and I go to Photoshop I use a little over 4GB (applications like iTunes, mail, finder also started). So I'm glad I put 4GB extra in my iMac :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.