Which processor for new MacBook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NYR0027, Apr 27, 2015.

1. NYR0027 macrumors newbie

I mostly surf the web, etc., but 1) I want the laptop to last 5 years, 2) I want to run at least 1 external monitor, and 3) Sometimes I'd like to run Flight Simulator X (graphics intensive).

So I've decided to upgrade to 16GB ram. But what do I do about the processor? Leave it at the basic i5 ... jump a bit to the mid-tier i5 ... or go to the i7?

Thanks.

2. aodesigns macrumors member

I don't think the i7 is utilised in most gaming as gaming doesn't take use of the hyper threading (so I read)

What size SSD are you getting?

3. NYR0027 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

1) If you usage doesn't change, it'll last as long as you want it to.
    2) Sure
    3) EDIT: Nevermind, I had 2015 in mind.

You did not say what your usage was apart from that one game, impossible to say whether a more powerful processor will be useful to you.

A good rule of thumb though: If you have to ask, you don't need it. Most people that need a powerful processor know they need one.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Given your usage, you're probably going to be fine with the base i5 CPU. IMHO, the cost to upgrade to the faster chips isn't worth the maybe 3-5% performance gain you'd get.

Flight Simulator X is a nearly 10-year old game, so I would image that it would run very well, even on the barebones model. The only thing I wouldn't be 100% certain of is whether or not it will allow itself to run on integrated GPUs. Some older games have this issue.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My 2008 MBP does all those things now; I think the i5 will be fine for your needs.

7. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I'm typing this on a 2.9/16/512. It is a beast of a machine but I have noticed the CPU is a lot weaker than the 15 Quad 2013 retina I've just dropped down from. RAM and SSD are faster and feel it too.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Don't bother with the i7 in the 13", it's still a dual core part and only 5% faster than the base 2.7GHz i5 (just look at the Geekbench scores).