Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I realise this is going to be a reoccurring theme on here now but some advice would be appreciated...
BAsically i have a 09 release core 2.8GHZ mac 15" antiglare.

I had a dropping accident 2 weeks ago, which insurance have decided to pay for a new mac for me as opposed to repiar.

However now the new chips have come out, I dont know where to go for the I5 or I7, i do a lot of video work so im thinking I7.

But now with the antiglare the price has hiked quite a lot, if i have both I7 and antiglare... would i see much difference if I just bought the I5, next to my 2.8 . how do they compare ? is there an online comparison ?

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
As far as I can tell, the only difference in the i7 is higher speed and a slightly larger cache. Based on clock speed, the i7 is only 5$ faster than a 2.53 i5, and the difference in cache will be insignificant for most applications.

It looks like they both have hyperthreading and turbo boost.

Richdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
insurance are only paying what my last one cost so to get the I7 it would cost me an extra £200, with antiglare screens going up to .
Thanks for the advice tho =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.