which program is using the internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by profBIll, Aug 28, 2007.

1. profBIll macrumors newbie

I have the unfortunate privilege of living in a rural area without internet connection. It isn't as bad as it sounds, I usually just bring what I need home and work there, and if I have to I use dialup.

However, as slow as dialup is, I need to keep things from uselessly using up what little bandwidth I have. For example, even though I have set Firefox to not check for updates, I suspect that it is "calling home" and using up bandwidth, even when I'm just visiting some innocuous like the Google home page.

So how can I tell what program is sending traffic over the internet? The activity monitor doesn't really do that as far as I can tell (messages sent and received are always dominated by local stuff).

Any advice appreciated.

>>>bill<<<

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Get 'Little Snitch'. It will catch programs calling home and let you decide if it should or not. Very flexible and a must have for all concerned Mac users.

_

peace | neut

3. profBIll thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

However, it looks more like a firewall than just a logger. Is there any utility out there that would log this kind of information?

Thanks.