Which program(s) can do this for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by answer348, Jul 2, 2009.

1. answer348 macrumors member

Next year I will be teaching an introductory psychology course and want to be able to use my DVD collection to help find interesting clips to inject into my lectures.

What free program(s) do I need to rip short clips from a DVD and transform the clips into something that will play easily within Windows?

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

First, download and install VLC (basically a multimedia player, only needed for DVD ripping support in another program). Then, download and install Handbrake. Afterwards, input your DVD, and when choosing options, leave the Normal preset on and select AVI for file type, and only select the chapters you want. (That is as specific as Handbrake gets) If you want more flexibility, put this selection into your favorite movie editing program and cut it, then make sure to save it as AVI for best compatibility with Windows. If you are going to use this in Powerpoint Presentations, you may want uncompressed AVI for smoother playback on older machines. The file will be huge, but will require less of the host machine.

Also remember that the legality of this is questionable.