which program should i use to back up my shsh for 3.1.3 iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by poohbear19, Dec 18, 2010.

1. poohbear19 macrumors regular

poohbear19

I don't really know how an shsh works i just heard it is very important to do before updating , jailbreak, etc. I already jailbroke and unlocked mine using redsn0w and ultrasn0w. But i want to clear all of that and update to 4.2.1? any help thanks

i have windows and if i update my baseband also to 06.15.00 would i still get to use my saved shsh blobs? thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Always a good idea to back up your SHSH but if you back them up today you will only get 4.2.1. The system saves those that are being signed by apple and not those on the phone.

However, with a 3G you can restore to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 without any SHSH files.
    The baseband will stay the same if you have a higher baseband.

You might want to consider using custom firmware to get to 4 instead of just restoring because you will be able to save your existing baseband for future unlock.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can either click "Make My Life Easier" in Cydia or download TinyUmbrella.

Cydia will then get the SHSH automatically for every iOS and on from the moment you click make my life easier.

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

If you've jail-broken, check Cydia - it will be located on the main screen (where I've highlighted it in yellow) if any are saved.
    [​IMG]

P.S. Google Chrome wants to correct "Cydia" to "chlamydia" o.0

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

:eek: lol

7. Peppe macrumors newbie

So if the main screen of Cydia has those bit highlighted in yellow, your shsh is saved?

Pep

8. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

Hi nebo1ss, when u say that I will only get 4.2.1 and back it up today I can't go back to 3.1.3 or anyother version? I also backed up my shsh using ishshit on cydia would I be able to go back to 3.1.3? And how would I restore to 3.1.3 without any shsh files? So if I went to 06.15.00 would I be able to go back to 5.12.01? I'm not sure if I understood that last sentence in the second paragraph :/. And so ur saying I can just update to ios 4.x using a custom firmware or to downgrade from 4.2.1? This is kind of what I plan to do, how about I restore to my 3.1.3 Ipsw file that I already have and then update to 4.2.1 with the update button on iTunes. Then I will jailbreak with 0.9.6b6 redsn0w and installing the sambingner repo and update my baseband to 06.15.00 and then unlocking with ultrasnow. And if things go wrong like I is too slow or something could I go back to my original iPhone 3.1.3 state? Thanks sorry I just got my iPhone about a few weeks ago and don't really know all about the terms:/

9. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

Hi PsstGreek, I didn't get that "make my life easier option because I think my cousin did it for me when he jailbroke it. When u restore it are you still supposed to get it? I also downloaded tinyumbrella from their blog the one that said win cuz I have windows 7 I think. but idk how to use it either. I did use Ishshit from cydia but they only sent the shsh's for 4.x and above. Is there no more for 3.1.3?

10. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

Hi peppe, it does look like that but how come they don't it have for the firmwares below the 4.x's?

11. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Once you click it for the first time, it doesn't come back up again. Cydia will recognize your iPhone after you restore/update.

The SHSH are saved only when Apple is still signing the iOS. So for example 3.1.3 is still being signed on Apple's servers Cydia can grab the SHSH. When 4.0 came out Apple stopped signing 3.1.3, so Cydia couldn't grab the 3.1.3 shsh, instead Cydia grab 4.0 and on.

13. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Yeah. Sounds like my own situation - by the time I jailbroke my phone, 4.0 was already out, and 3.1.3 discontinued on signing by Apple. Therefore, despite me being on a j/b'd 3.1.3 iOS, I've only the 4.0+ shsh blobs.

haven't looked to see if it's still doing good, but I heard good things about how the new 4.2.1 runs on 3G phones the first week or so after it came out. Need to look it up, because several apps I want require it :)

14. poohbear19, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

sooo i could still go back from 4.2.1? just down to 4.0 and up only? and another question, would the latest redsn0w 0.9.6b6 match with a 3.1.3 firmware? and would a 4.2.1 make a 8gig 3g iphone slower?

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. 4.2.1 is still being signed so you can restore your iPhone. If you want to go from 4.2.1 to 4.0 you need the SHSH saved.

4.2.1 supposedly makes the 3G faster. But I don't know.

For 3.1.3 you need 0.9.4

16. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

i don't know if i would want to restore my iphone to 4.2.1 if i don't like it. i have my shsh's saved for 4.0 and above and sent them all to my e-mail. do you know how i would use the files for when i need them for backup?

this person told me to use the latest redsn0w for 3.1.3 but i didn't really believe him lol.

17. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to edit your host files to that of the Cydia server.

18. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

sorry, how do i do that?

19. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I posted in the other thread.

20. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

AWESOME!! I'm not the only one! And I will probably update to 4.2.1 now!

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

4.2.1 is the only one being signed right now. So anybody that hasn't saved thre blobs yet. can only save 4.2.1 there is a reason Dev_team always says save you blobs. ;)

22. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

Did apple just start signing only 4.2.1 today? Because I think i saved mine yesterday or the day before when I first heard about saving shsh's. I'm an iphone newb lol so i am just hearing things now.