Which program to back up iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RSXer, Jan 9, 2008.

1. RSXer macrumors newbie

I am going to format my MBP and was wondering how do I backup my itunes library onto an EXTERNAL HD? I realize there is a 'back up to disc ..' function but I want to back up my music to my external.

also is there a way to revert the song title names after itunes have 'organized' the songs and renamed them?

Thanks in advance

2. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I just copy my entire iTunes folder to my external HD. That backs up everything I care about.

As far as renaming all the titles, perhaps there is something you could do with Automator.

3. RSXer thread starter macrumors newbie

ummm so I can just replace the new itunes folder with the old content and it will be automatically recognized by the new itunes?

4. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

After you have reinstalled everything then just copy your old iTunes folder back to your HD. It should be just the way you left it when you fire up iTunes.

A few words of caution:

Just to be safe, don't move the iTunes folder while the iTunes.app is running.
    Be sure to copy the iTunes library files in addition to the music folder (if you want to preserve playlists, ratings, playcounts, etc.).

I've done it a few times, but since I keep my iTunes library on an external HD there has always been a little bit of trial and error after every move. Thankfully, I have not had to re-rate all 13,000 tracks since my last BIG mp3 mistake (early 2005).

But in the end, the most important thing is that your music is not lost.

5. RSXer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot Fiveos22 I greatly appreciate your help. thanks again.

6. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Make sure to copy your iTunes library files (~/Music/iTunes) into a separate folder so if anything goes haywire, your various library info (such as play counts and ratings) is saved.