Which program will help me design xml in easy way...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Aslpride, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Aslpride macrumors newbie

I have been using Freeway 3-5 for last ten years. I have been successful using wordpress, expression engine, etc. However, my most frustrate is not able to design my own way with stand alone site. I was able to use plug in that allow me use Freeway 5 with expression engine, but no luck. I tried to find a program that allow me create .xml that can be add to any core like wordpress, expression engine and joomla. All require complete design in .xml. Freeway 5 will not able to export as .xml.

Can you help me find right program that allow me create .xml easy with photoshop CS. I want to design my own idea and create template as .xml that allow me add it to any core. I am tired of stuck with "free templates" or charge to buy templates while I know I can design it myself, but I am stuck at this stage where I can't find a program that can create .xml templates.

Sorry if I keep repeating my sentence, it's 1:15 am in morning and I am frustrate enough to post this message without fresh mind. :)

Thanks

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Suck it up and take the time to learn to do it yourself.

Learn XHTML and CSS for a start. They are really pretty simple (but have annoying browser quirks).

3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Dreamweaver is an excellent XML editor.
    Nice autocomplete functionality; I use it for all of my Flash projects.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sledgehammer and nut come to mind.

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I have to agree. If you want to be able to design and publish sites without the restrictions of the templates and systems that are available, you're going to have to learn the stuff and make your own templates and/or systems.

Once you've got the HTML & CSS down, its not a huge leap to be able to create (or at least edit to your tastes) a WordPress theme.

Just get stuck in - the sooner you do, the sooner you'll get past the annoying first "I've no idea what I'm doing" frustrating stage and into the "this is actually much more fun" stage.

A good free text editor is Komodo Edit if you're interested...

Good luck ;)

/Doug

6. Aslpride thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for feedback and tell me to suck it up. :)

I do know basic CSS and html. However, I want to use Mac program that allow me to see the graphic and codes at same time also a program that allow me use photoshop pictures into the design with codes, too.

I wonder if any css program will able to create and import .xml?

Thanks. :)

7. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I think you're getting confused. XML does not make websites.
    Its really used more like a database, a easy way to store and retrieve information. It is not able to create viewable content by itself at all.

Attached Files:

8. Aslpride thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I was confuse about xml. I did my own research and want to restate my question. Which Mac CSS program will export .xml that can work with wordpress, expression engine, joomla, etc. As I understand that CSS can allow me to design and add jpg that has been designed from photoshop.

Thank you for your patience with me. :)

9. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

- I think you need to do a little more research. Once and for all, you DO NOT need xml to design a website. It can be helpful depending on what you're trying to make, but in no way is it a necessity for a website. It is merely a file that holds information, it doesn't display anything, it doesn't style anything, its basically just text that code created with javascript/actionscript etc can interact with.

- That being said, there isn't a program in the world(at least not that I've heard) that will let you design a site without code, and spit out a theme for a CMS. First off they all(at least Wordpress Joomla, and Drupal, not sure about expression engine) interact with PHP, not xml, and besides, they all work differently, and have their own ways of designing pages.

I'm gonna assume you're looking for a WYSIWYG style editor. If you search you'll see this has been brought up plenty of times but off the top of my head some good ones include

Flux
    RapidWeaver

10. cube macrumors G5

"Design XML" == Create XML Schemas. XMLSpy is great for that.

But that is not what you are asking for, you want to do Web Design for tools that use XML as their file format, with whatever Schemas that they have defined.

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Actually...

You can have a look at Artisteer - but it's for windows unless you want to use a mac beta, but might have some bugs.

There are a few online services which will let you specify a basic template for WordPress. One is http://www.yvoschaap.com/wpthemegen/

Or, (again, for WordPress) you can use a template like Atahualpa (free) or Canvas (Commercial) which have a huge amount of customisable options.

Though I do agree that you seem to be a little confused about xml and it's relationship with websites / CSS / HTML.

/Doug