which projector adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foe84, Mar 1, 2011.

1. foe84 macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 macbook pro and I was wondering what adapter I needed to buy. Minidisplay port to vga? dvi? The projectors at school are DVI cables. Also, do they have remote clickers so I dont have to stand next to the laptop? I've read some reviews saying it doesnt work with the new macbook.

thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You just need whatever your projector has, which is most likely VGA. As for the remote, your computer can use the Apple remote since it has an IR port.

3. simsaladimbamba

What doesn't work with the new MBPs?
    What input does the projector have?
    Remote: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC377LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY or you could use your iPhone or iPod touch.

4. GGJstudios, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what inputs your display has. Some have VGA only; some have DVI only; some have both.
    If you're referring to the Apple Remote, no, it doesn't work with the new MacBook Pros because they don't have a built-in infrared receiver.
    EDIT: Yes, it's included on 2011 MBP models.
    About the Apple Remote control
    Not the 2011 models. EDIT: Yes, it's included on 2011 MBP models.
    The 2011 MBPs don't have the IR port. EDIT: Yes, it's included on 2011 MBP models.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The MBPs do, they are shown in all of the pictures, and Apple still offers the Apple remote as an accessory when ordering online. The MBAs and white MBs don't however.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't list it anymore on the Tech Specs for the MBP line, like it did in earlier models:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I did notice that it was absent from the specs, but I assume that was a typo. They wouldn't sell the remote with it if it wasn't usable, and I would assume they would change the stock photos to exclude it.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you post a link to a photo or reference that shows it's still included?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The IR reciever is still included in the picture of the MBPs on the apple home page, and I took a screen shot of the options for buying a 13" MBP as well.

Attached Files:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You know, you're right about the pic. I didn't recognize it as the IR port, because it's much wider than the IR port on my earlier model. I also verified from the MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) - User Guide that it's still included, so I stand corrected. Thanks! I don't know why they elected to exclude it from the Tech Specs.

11. foe84 thread starter macrumors newbie

is the mdp to vga a usb? it looks like it, but wider.

also, how can the ipod be used as a remote. I have a 2g ipod touch. there were reviews saying the remote wasn't compatible with the 2011 models.

12. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the specs but there is an app. The Apple one is called 'Remote' but I think you can only controls iTunes from that. Not 100% though

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It does not use usb, only the dual link DVI does, however you won't need that with a projector.

As for the iPod, there may be an app that can control that over the wifi network, but I don't know for sure. I know the apple remote app only will control iTunes.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's completely different.
    About Remote app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
    Links?

15. foe84 thread starter macrumors newbie

it was a question and someone answered no. I do see it under accessories when buying a macbook.

also, the connection at school is vga, the input matches the shape of the vga end. So, which is the connection to vga I want? i dont imagine the thunderbolt actually being used already. Sorry if I sound dumb, i'm coming from a pc and i never had to buy an adapter.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MacBook? or MacBook Pro? This is a MacBook Pro forum and you originally asked about the MBP. Now you're asking about a MacBook? They're two different products.
    You need a MiniDisplay Port to VGA adapter.

17. modit, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

modit macrumors 6502

I'm planning on buying both a DVI and VGA adapter but do both standards rely on you laptop's speaker for sound?

If I remember correctly, my old high school teacher had separate speakers for his MacBook Pro and I recalled doing the same for PC laptops.

Also, I'm at university so what is the more common kind of adapter in 2011?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just checked the projector in my University lecture hall and it was VGA for PC input (Prof uses a Mac) and I remember using the same plug in High School.

I'm going with the "Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter" from monoprice but it says it doesn't support audio (is that the case for the Moshi adapter?) :( I'll hope that I don't run into a DVI plug. Also, are VGA projectors being phased out?

Thanks again!

18. simsaladimbamba

VGA does not transmit sound, and the Moshi Adapter does not even have a VGA output.
    To output sound from your MBP either use the built-in speakers or connect an external speaker system via the audio out port like you would with a Windows or Linux PC.

And yes, VGA will eventually be phased out, as it is old and analog and does not offer advantages as HDMI or MDP.

19. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Try HippoRemote - very customizable for multiple apps. I use it with PLEX, for example.

20. modit macrumors 6502

I'm about to order the VGA adapter from monoprice for my new Mac then. Is this a good choice?

Thanks!

21. badpinoy macrumors regular