Which RAM disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Mar 13, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Just a thought, pre SL full release. If you have say 16GB RAM or more and since 32bit apps can only access 3-4GB RAM, and you're not running lots of apps at one time but want to utilise the unused RAM you have on your machine, wouldn't a RAM disk(s) be a good option?

Any people using them? I used to use them back on my PowerMac days, and just done some research, it seems software like Esperance DV or Make RAM Disk are currently available or using a command line to create one (or two or three..) 2.2GB RAM disks

2. djjclark macrumors regular

Good use of extra ram for photoshop - should be able to search on it as I have seen people listing specific information on it.

3. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Here ya go:

How-to and Benchmarks

"Why isn’t a RAM disk faster than a fast striped RAID? Because the combination of the Mac OS X caching and a fast striped RAID is as fast or faster than Photoshop can utilize (internal Photoshop bottlenecks). Also, Mac OS X appears to also cache I/O to RAM disks, adding further overhead."

If you can do a nice Striped RAID then a RAM Disk is actually just a titch slower. And OS X currently running as a 32bit OS can't create RAM disk sizes greater than 2.2GB. In Snow Leopard that should be outdone.