Which Ram Does and does not work in Unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greenhoe, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I looking to upgrade my RAM in my 2.4 Unibody MBP from 2 to 4GB, although I've heard rumors that ceratin memory makes the MBPs freeze, which memory is best to purchasing when upgrade to 4GB? I'm looking to purchase from newegg or amazon. Thanks

The main one i'm looking at right now is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148191

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I got my crucial kit directly from crucial. Theoretically any ram with the same specs should work but i had also heard of compatibility issues. I figure that crucial has good customer service and rma policy so i went with them. Works well for me.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I would either suggest that you go to Crucial and have your system scanned, or on NewEgg (if your from the US and A) search for Apple Laptop Memory, there put in DDR3 and choose one of those. I personally went with Mushkin, as it had the best reviews and was the only one in stock when I ordered.

4. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

memory speed

Which type of memory speed should I be looking for?

DDR3 PC3-8500/DDR3-1066 or DDR3 PC3-10600/DDR3-1333

Is there a big difference in performance and which one does the new unibodys come with?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just get the DDR3 PC3-8500; that's what you're suppose to have; if you get anything "faster" it will either downclock anyways, or not work at all.

6. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Crap, I think I ordered the wrong memory. Instead of DDR3 1066, I ordered Crucial DDR3 1333 memory.

Does the MBP downgrade the speed? Or does it not accept it at all?

7. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Thanks to you, we'll soon find out. ;)

Some previous models down-clocked the RAM while some others just plain didn't work.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I've heard of people having problems even with RAM from Mac outlets like OWC.

The best thing to do is buy RAM from somewhere with a good return policy, in case things don't work out.