Which RAM for a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ddwit, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ddwit macrumors member

ddwit

Hello there,

We are going to buy a Mac Pro (3.2 quad core).
    It "needs" 16GB ram.
    Is there any difference in quality (type/brand)? Which ram is the best to buy? Which one is better to avoid?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as you stick with known brands (Kingston, OCZ, Crucial, G.Skill, Samsung etc...) there shouldn't be any issues. As you're from the Netherlands, I would suggest Crucial. If you're planning to upgrade to +16GB in the future, make sure to buy 8GB modules so you would still have two empty slots with 16GB. They cost a bit more though and cannot be mixed with other modules

3. ddwit, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

ddwit thread starter macrumors member

ddwit

Thanks for the advice, Hellhammer!

I'm not sure if we have the 'time' to get the 8Gb ones. They are still pretty expensive here, but maybe when we will order the Mac Pro they will be affordable. I will keep it in mind. Otherwise we will go for 4 x 4 and if necessary change them all in a couple of years to 4 x 8.

The link in your post for Crucial RAM sends me to a Canon HD camcorder, this isn't what you meant I think?
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...ixia_hf_r100?selectedName=BrochuresAndManuals

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, sorry, my bad :eek: I posted on another thread and I guess I forgot to copy the link I was supposed to post. Well, here should be the correct link