which RAM for my 15" Macbook Pro (early 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jens Engels, May 14, 2011.

1. Jens Engels macrumors member

Hi

i was wondering, i want to buy 8GB (i assume 2 sticks of 4GB) of ram for my new 15" Macbook Pro 2011 2.2Ghz.

Now i was wondering which would be good for my MBP, as its new and i dont want any compatibility problems or something :).

i found these 2 but im not sure:

Crucial (http://bit.ly/kuMItG)

Kingston (http://amzn.to/lyhkcB)

what do you think, is there a difference or should i take other RAM?

Thanks in advance
    Jens

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'd go with Crucial, but either should be good.

3. Crwoo macrumors newbie

+1 for crucial

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I bought an 8GB G.Skill kit from Newegg - $80 total. It works perfectly and is cheaper than Crucial or Kingston (but it's also a top brand - just check the reviews).

6. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

is there any site where i can buy the 8GB G.Skill kit in europe/France? i've been searching but haven't found anything with those RAM sticks. Hope someone could help me, as i think this 8GB G.Skill kit has really good reviews :)!!

Thanks

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Vote for crucial. Just buy what is cheap. Oww yeah and do not look at the us prices we do not get those in Europe :)

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

9. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I've always used crucial in my apple products. Never had an issue. When it comes to pc side I always go top range stuff like corsair etc as I like to over clock.

Go the crucial, your dealing with the company directly so if there are any issues you get good support. I personally use crucial cause I get another 7% back http://www.quidco.com/ .

11. Jens Engels, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

i also found a 5% discount on the g.skill here

But if you prefer the crucial, i will probably go for them :)!

Just to know: is there any difference between them (except for price) :)?

EDIT: How does the 7% back works, because i get redirected to the site of crucial, but the price stays the same.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

To be honest all the good quality ram is about the same at stock speeds. What you pay extra for is better chips that allow the ram to overclock. But since apple products to not overclock, it's not worth getting better RAM. Crucial is solid ram for apple products.

With quidco and sites like them , you register and then you visit say crucial from the quidco site and the transaction is captured when you buy something on crucial. Within a month etc crucial pays quidco the 7% into your account. It's not worth it as a once off but if you do a lot of online transactions over time it builds up. Last few years I have to back over £300 just for the extra click:) it's a uk site so just check if it's available outside of uk.

13. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

1600Mhz also possible!

i just found this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1133642

1600Mhz is also possible i see, but as i can see there, it's only a minimal difference for a much higher price.

i'm sticking to my 8GB 1333Mhz crucial's!