Which RAM for new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kat.hayes, Feb 4, 2014.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I need to get aftermarket RAM for a new iMac from BH because my company has a contract with them. Can someone please tell me which of these will work with the new iMac? I'd like to get 16GB possibly 32....

Thanks!

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

which iMac did you order? Only the 27" has user replaceable ram..

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

For the 27" Haswell iMacs, Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM is confirmed to work.

Be careful with other brands, per this thread.

However, the price just went up. I bought it last week for $134.95 and it's now approaching $150 directly from Amazon. :(

4. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

I did get the 27-inch.

1. How many slots does the iMac have?

2. If I start with 16GB based on 2 8GB sticks, can I just add 2 more 8GB sticks later on if I need them to max it out at 32GB?

3. I bought the iMac from Apple with 8GB. Can I use this 8GB along with the 2 8GB sticks?

Thanks.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Four

Yes

Yes, no problem

6. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I purchased my extra ram from OWC and it works great with no problems. They were more expensive than buying it from Amazon and getting Crucial but I have always used them. I purchased 32gb and it cost me $387.99

7. nrs111 macrumors newbie

I bought the Crucial RAM from Amazon as well for $134.95. Added 2 sticks to the stock 8gb. Seems like the best bang for the buck to end up with 24gb.

8. TweakOnline macrumors regular

TweakOnline

So it's confirmed that you can add additional ram, while you're using the stock 8GB? So in fact, if I would buy 16GB of extra ram, I would be able to have 24GB of ram? :)

9. pfrocha macrumors newbie

Memory for late 2013 iMac 27"

If you plan on taking up all 4 slots with 8Gb in each, make sure you buy 1.35v Ram, otherwise you will be facing endless Kernel panics.

I experienced that first hand and the panics did not stop until I changed the Ram to 1.35v.

If you Google this information you will see that memory manufacturers have already acknowledged the problem -- even though Apple has not.

10. DavidG328 macrumors regular

User replaceable according to Apple (ie. won't mess up warranty)? I pulled the plug on a 21.5 with 8GB, which will suit me just fine, but I thought I had seen a video last night of someone opening one up to replace the RAM.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, but not just any 1.35V RAM. Stick with makes and models confirmed to work, like the Crucial I mentioned above. I went through two quality brands with no success until I bought the Crucial.

It is possible to open the machine to upgrade the RAM but it is not an easy job. You will need to get the pizza-cutter tool to separate the panel from the body and then the Apple double-sided tape to replace it. That is available on eBay. See this thread.

I wouldn't recommend even attempting this until the Apple warranty expires because if they detect you did so, the warranty is voided.