which RAM should i get for my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspud, Jan 16, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

ok i know this topic has been beat to death but i was doing several searches and i havnt found an exact answer.

i have a 2.16 ghz macbook so if i get 4 gigs it will only recognize 3.3 of that... i think im just going to upgrade to 3 gigs total as opposed to the 4, i dont think the extra .3 will help all that much...

anyway, thats besides the point....

what kind of ram do i need? im not forking over the cash to get apple brand, but will regular notebook memory work or do we need a certain type? on newegg they have "apple memory" that is a bit more expensive than regular notebook....

what are the numbers and specs or whatever for the RAM i need? im looking to get a single 2gig stick...

THANKS!

2. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

4. OceanView macrumors 65816

5. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Other World Computing has some nice benchmarks to help you determine whether you should go with a 2+1=3GB or a 2+2=4GB config... linky

Basically their conclusion is the 2+2 config is has a very slight advantage but not enough to make it worth the difference in cost.

I myself went with the 2+2 as I was able to use my previous 1+1 as "hand-me-downs" to upgrade my wife's MacBook .. two upgrades in 1!

Oh and sorry, just make sure to read through the reviews to see what other Apple users have said re: the upgrades. Make sure you see at least some success stories that reference the MacBook. I know Crucial and Kingston both work well. Not so sure about Kingston ValueRAM or other brands. Good luck!

6. tiamat1990 macrumors member

Oh wow thanks! That link really helped me out.

7. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

ditto, thank you sir!!

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

9. OceanView macrumors 65816

10. bntz313 macrumors 6502

11. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

nice, thanks for the input!

(what are micron chips?)