Which RAM should I go with?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wandersfar, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wandersfar macrumors newbie

Hi, new member here. *waves*

I have an Intel Core Duo 17-inch iMac (Early 2006). I've read it has a limit of 2gb RAM, and I bought it with 1gb installed (one 1gb module) so I'm planning on buying another 1gb module for the bottom slot.

Here's what's printed on the label of the RAM I already own:

Samsung 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300S-555-12-E3
    CN M470T2953CZ3-CE6 0609

I've narrowed it down to two options:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/53SDR2SAM1GB/

http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=AC1F2DC1A5CA7304

The first is Samsung RAM, that the site says is factory original. Its label is slightly different from my own, though:

Samsung 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300S-555-12-E3
    KR M470T2953CZ3-CE6 0603

I assume the first two letters refer to the country of origin: CN -- China, KR -- Korea, so perhaps that doesn't matter. But my RAM ends in 0609 and the module in the photograph ends in 0603. So is this module the same as my own, or is this different/incompatible?

The second option is a generic: Crucial. It's listed at about half the price as the Samsung RAM, though with shipping and tax, it comes out to only a couple dollars less.

My question is, is it worth it to pay a couple more dollars for the exact same module of RAM? Or is there really no difference between Samsung and Crucial? Also, is the Samsung module listed the same as the one currently installed in my iMac?

This is my first time upgrading RAM, so I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Thanks for reading!

2. pigglywiskers macrumors newbie

I would just get whatever is cheaper. You're not going to notice a difference in performance, and Crucial is actually considered a good brand. They are both the same speed, have about the same latencies, so therefore give the same performance.

3. KershMan macrumors 6502

You could save even more and buy the OWC brand. I have used their house brand for a while and there is no issues with it. I just upgraded my MacBook to 2 X 2GB sticks yesterday and everything seems fine. Total for 4GB was $85.