Which RAM stick should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by buoptip, Dec 18, 2008.

1. buoptip macrumors newbie

Well I've found two 2GB RAM sticks that I like, but I"m not sure which one to buy. The first one comes up as compatible with my macbook in the search but the description only says for macbook pro or imac. But it is cheaper.

And for the second one it says compatible with macbooks but it doesn't show up like that when I search for it.

Also what is the difference between DDR2 and DDR3, can my macbook use DDR3?

My macbooks current RAM is DDR2 so should I just stick with buying the DDR2 2gb memory stick?

I bought my macbook in February after that small update. It is the one with 2.4 GHZ. If this makes a difference in which RAM stick I should buy.

INFO ON THE RAM STICKS:

On Sale for 79.99 dollars
    OR

On Sale for 99.99 dollars
    Thanks for you help guys :D

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you have the Al-Macbook, only the 2nd one will work, as that's the DDR3 variety. If you have a plastic body model, only the first kind will work, as that's DDR2.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

The first one will work. The second one won't. DDR3 RAM is only used in the Unibody MacBooks/Pros. Also, http://www.crucial.com/ has a handy utility that will tell you which RAM works for your computer (in the future).

4. buoptip thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok, thank you very much. :). Time to grab some cash and go and buy it :D.

5. anish3232 macrumors member

you should be able to get 4GB 2x2GB for $70-90

Cheaper
    Crucial has Macbook 2GB RAM (last gen for $22)
    Just go to crucial and do a memory scan.

6. chill. macrumors 6502

i've heard that 3rd party ram has had lockups/issues inside of macbooks. i am interested in upgrading my ram from 2gb to 4gb, but am afraid of buying incompatible ram.

has anybody bought a 4gb kit from kingston/crucial/owc/ anything else? which ones have had lockups, and which ones work well?

7. buoptip thread starter macrumors newbie

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

10. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

All RAM is 3rd party. Apple doesn't manufracture RAM. They buy from someone else and maybe put an Apple sticker on it or something. As long as the RAM is DDR2 or DDR3 which ever your computer takes it should work.

RAM from any of the major players (corsair, geil, crucial, ozc, etc...) should work fine

11. anish3232 macrumors member

The only computer that has a major problem with ram is the new MacBooks. The old MacBooks work pretty well with ram just dont be cheap and by a no name ram. Crucial works well and is cheap.

12. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

Haha, I would say so.
    I wonder how much that kit cost?
    :p