Which RAM to get/Where from? (iBook G4)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jasko, May 6, 2007.

1. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Hi. This might have been posted already but I couldn't find anything in my searches.......... anyway: I'm looking to upgrade my moms laptop with ram for mother's day.

Unfortunately I don't know what kind to buy or a place that has reasonable prices. I saw on Apple's website that it's $300 for a 1GB stick. That sounds kind of steep.

The stats are below and I was hoping some of you guys can tell me what kind to buy / where from?

iBook G4 1.42 GHz PowerPC
    512 MB Built-in already

I was wondering how many open slots this model has?
    Will upgrading to 1G ram show a sufficient difference in speed?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

buy from www.datamem.com . They have a memory locator for macs, just follow the clicks. You'll need pc2700 though, and to be honest, if I were you i'd just get her the 1gb stick and yes you'll notice a world of difference. I have the last revision 12" and went from 512mb to 1.5gb and wow what a change! Goodluck!

3. jasko thread starter macrumors 6502

jasko

so, 1GB 200 Pin DDR PC2700 333Mhz 128x64 CL 2.5 SODIMM should be alright? for $90?

also, is it ok to mix this brand with the stock apple brand ram? I've heard that might be bad sometimes.........

4. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

yep that's the right stuff, plus lifetime warranty, you can't go wrong with them. Very easy to install also. Quick painless, and it'll make your mom's laptop feel like new to her.

5. jasko thread starter macrumors 6502

jasko

Hi again

I saw a tutorial video on one of these thread the other week that showed how to install the ram in my laptop iBook...... it was from Apple's website and now I can't find it.

anyone know what I'm talking about/have a link???