Which RAM to use...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tml.chelseafc, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tml.chelseafc macrumors member

So after talking with you guys, and most of you suggesting I buy the macbook pro from the store that is like 5 minutes close to where I live instead of ordering it online. Most of you said I can upgrade the RAM by myself.

I have a few questions bout that.

1) Can I use any RAM or is there special memory cards designed for apple? Of course by "any RAM", I mean laptop memory cards...

2) Will the memory cards I buy be additional memory cards in the macbook pro or will I not need the old one. (FYI - the macbook I am interested in is the 13.3 inch 2.26Ghz which comes with a 2GB RAM preinstalled)

3) Since I have never installed memory on laptops before.. Will I have to install any software or anything? Or is it just input and use!?

Thanks.. If you can answer these quickly it would be great as I plan to buy the laptop fairly soon :)

2. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

1) It must be Laptop DDR3 1066Mhz RAM, I'm newer to Macs so I don't know how faster RAM would react. Since there is no "BIOS" to edit settings I am almost certain that no matter what you put in it will go to default settings of 1066Mhz and 7-7-7-20 so it would be pointless to get faster/lower latency RAM. (Sorry if this is confusing)

2) You will be replacing the old RAM completely. There are only 2 slots which are filled with 2x 1GB sticks, and if you get 4GB you will most likely be (2x2GB, I advise you don't just get 1 stick of 4GB as the RAM will run at have speed since it will not run in dual channel mode)

3) No software or anything, just pop it in and it works (or doesn't).

3. AMessy macrumors member

I agree, buy two (2) 2GB sticks from a reputable Mac ram dealer such as www.ramjet.com or www.macsales.com . I have used both these companies in the past with no problems, they will have configurators on their site to help you in choosing the correct ram.

4. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

I have heard about macsales but not RAMJET.

Will check them out again though.
    Thanks all!

5. DMunky168 macrumors newbie

Sorry to bust into your post but is it really bad to have 1 stick of 4Gb + 1 stick of 1GB? I know it wont run in dual channel anymore but does it affect the system that much as a whole (4Gb Dual Channel Vs 5Gb Single?)?

Edit: And yes there is the issue of price... 2x2Gb is a lot cheaper than 1x4Gb

6. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

7. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

I never said I wanted to put a 4GB + 1GB ;)

Obviously I am smart enough to know to get 2 X 2 :D Am I not? :p:p

Anyways, would guys know if there is any point in going to bestbuy or futureshop to look for the memory? Or any place that is in Toronto?

8. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

No way! It'll be a crappy brand and/or way more expensive!!!

Those places cater to people who use older technology and even overcharge for that stuff.
    PS I was surprised to see BB even carries DDR3.
    Anyway, case and pont below.... ROFL!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...SP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0500000

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...C5DF138E&sku_id=0665000FS10118386&catid=10487

9. Z06jerry macrumors regular

10. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure the two links you gave me are compatible with apple? The 2 links I posted were specifically listed under apple category...

:confused:

11. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

I guess I'm still curious why you'd consider buying from anyone other than OWC, Ramjet, or even Crucial (or even Newegg).
    The prices are less than half of what they would be elsewhere.

12. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

Since I am in Canada, I'll have to order and wait for the shipping to arrive. If any of the names you mentioned have stores somewhere in Toronto, of course I'll go there...

13. borcanm macrumors regular

14. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

DUDE!!!!!! Thanks soo much!! :D I never knew I could upgrade my RAM in the apple store that is close to where I live. I always thought it was an online thing. I just called them and they said they can. AWESOME!! I don't mind even paying 100 CAD EXTRA, just as long as I don't have to do it.

This made my day :) I am so stupid :p

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just to let you know, the Apple Store does not do RAM or HDD upgrades. If you know someone they might be able to do it for you but generally, they don't do it for you. You might have to look for a 3rd party Apple service provider to do the upgrade for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

16. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

I talked to the lady in the :apple: Fairview store and she said they do upgrade RAM in the store. They don't upgrade the HDD but RAM they do...

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're wrong about that. Most, if not all, Apple Stores do RAM and some will do HDD if you ask the right person.

18. Z06jerry macrumors regular

But the price is $120 cdn @ Apple's website, still a good deal if you're uncomfortable installing it yourself and buying it from the Apple Store has the advantage of not affecting your AppleCare.

19. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

I don't mind as long as I don't have to worry about installing it ;)

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

IF you ask the right person implying that you just can't go up to the Genius Bar and ask them to do it. Apple will replace a defective HDD or RAM but won't do the upgrade. There was also an article I will find and post saying the same thing.

EDIT: Now this refers to upgrading your HDD so I would think it would be applicable to RAM as well as I don't think they would do one and not the other...

"The Apple Store won't do upgrade installations, but it will replace damaged parts with equivalent replacements" - Macworld, May 2009

Like I said in my original post, if you know someone, by all means go get it done by Apple but they don't do upgrades as a service.

21. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Afraid of a screwdriver eh? :D

22. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Not running in dual channel will mean it will run at half speed so 533mhz, and I doubt you would even manage to use 5GB of RAM so it would be much better to get 2x2GB than mixing sticks of RAM