Which RAM

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by solidify, Dec 18, 2018.

1. solidify macrumors newbie

I have a base model 2018 Mini. I would like to upgrade from the stock 8Gb of RAM to 16Gb.

As far as I understand it, it would be better to buy 2 8Gb sticks of RAM and throw away the 2 4GB sticks that are in there now, is that correct? Buying 1 16Gb stick and keeping 1 4Gb stick in there would end up being slower, right?

Second, Can anyone recommend which RAM to buy and where from? I am in the US and have an Amazon Prime account. I don't know anything about RAM so I really need someone to tell me what to buy lol. Thanks.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Go with OWC, they will make sure it's the proper one for you.

3. seble macrumors 6502a

Oh, and don't throw away the sticks that are currently in the machine. If it needs servicing by Apple you'll want to put the original RAM back in.

4. popcorn-in-sac macrumors regular

I recently did the same, and used Crucial RAM, purchased from Amazon. I installed it some days ago, and it works perfectly. This set is the proper specifications for the 2018 Mac mini.

Amazon link

Mark

5. ncrotalus macrumors newbie

Hi, I noticed that Amazon also has the “DR” version of the 16gb crucial ram for about the same price. Any pros/cons to going with “SR” versus “DR”? Thanks

6. popcorn-in-sac macrumors regular

From everything I read before buying, single-rank (SR) is considered slightly faster than dual-rank (DR). DR memory DIMMs can be larger than SR memory DIMMs as well.

So for the same amount of money and same capacity, I would (and did) choose single-rank (SR) memory.

My thoughts, anyway.

Mark