Which RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrisone23, Apr 7, 2008.

1. harrisone23 macrumors member

I need 4GB of RAM and I dont know which is the best. I want the Samsung RAM but is it the best and where can I get the best price?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have the Kingston 2x2GB from NewEgg. $90 with free shipping.

Works for me. I don't think they are Samsung chips though. Hynix isn't bad.

3. harrisone23 thread starter macrumors member

Is Samsung the brand of the RAM or does Samsung sell their components to other companies?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Answers to many common questions can be found under the Guides tab at the top of this window

Hardware: MR Guide to Buying RAM

Yes and Yes.

Samsung makes their own complete modules, which will have a sticker with the blue Samsung oval logo. You can't buy direct from samsung, you have to purchase through a reseller. This would be called Samsung Genuine or Original. Also, Samsung makes chipsets that other third-party companies assemble onto their own modules. This would be called Samsung-on-Third.

Don't get too hung up on the brand, choose a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility and will stand behind the RAM, of whatever brand.

There will be absolutely no Speed difference between brands of RAM in the Mac.

*(with a caveat about the new Corsair CL4 RAM, about which the jury is still out. We are sending some to Barefeats.com for testing)

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321