Which RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimijazz, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jimijazz macrumors member

I bought a 2.2 GHz MBP in June 2007. I feel the time has come to upgrade to 4 GB RAM.

I've found two options which look promising:

Kingston - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134560

OWC - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

I've only ever bought RAM for aging Windows PCs before, so I'm not sure which is the better option here, or if they'd both perform about the same. They're pretty much the same price, so I'm just wondering if either one would give me more bang for my buck- or if there's a better option somewhere else.

Another idea: I see Circuit City is going out of business and they're having a liquidation sale. Do they sell Mac RAM? If so I might stop by my local store and see what kinds of deals are available. Their website is currently just an FAQ about closing, with no info on prices or products.

Thanks!

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

For $1 difference I wouldn't sweat the decision. Who is better to deal with and has reasonable shipping? This flavor of RAM often goes on sale and I picked some up on boxing day for my wife's macbook. We got the Kingston and it works great.

3. jimijazz thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm just worried that I'll shell out $45 (which, even though I own a mac, is a lot of money for me) and I'll have made the wrong decision. Sounds like these two would be about the same, though. I'll see what's up at CC tomorrow.

4. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I've been using OWC RAM in my Unibody MBP since October and have had no problems.

5. dkhuynh macrumors member

1) Newegg or OWC? Both are good vendors/merchants/suppliers. RMA and inquires are good.

2) Kingston brand or OWC brand? They are both good with good reviews. Just remember not to get the Value Ram from Kingston.

3) KTA-MB667K2/4GR or OWC53IM2DDR4GBK? OWC. they have the same amount of memory but not CAS latency. 6 vs 5.

4) Circuit City? Even though they are going through liquidation, you'll have to fight a bunch of blackfriday pros and liquidation prices may still be "marked up" prices because they are est. to still have stores open by the end of march.

6. jimijazz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone! I've decided, based on your input, to go with OWC. They also offer a cash rebate for old RAM. They didn't specify how much I'll get for it, but it's so cheap that's more like icing on the cake.

I did stop by my local Circuit City this evening, and waded through the mayhem to the tiny RAM section. All the 4GB kits were sold out, but the lowest price on them was $150. HA! Oh well. It was worth a look, anyway.

Thanks again!

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That also means all sales are final and if they get your money, they really have no obligation to give you a refund should anything break; it's not like you could sue them!