Which refurbished 17" would you choose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PAC88, Jul 2, 2009.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I know the topic of prev. gen vs unibody has been discussed a lot. But If you had the choice between a refurbished (both are refurb)

17" Anti-glare Unibody with 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb HD

or

PREV GEN 17" Matte LED(high res), 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb HD, 512mb 8600gt

Both are exactly the same price of $1999, that's why I'm not sure which one

I don't care about built in battery vs the old style or small differences in front side bus and ddr2 vs ddr3 memory.

I am looking more at the changes in the case, battery life and display.
    So, for the people who upgraded from a previous gen to unibody.. are you happier with the new one? Does the case, battery, and display in the unibody make it that much better vs the older model?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well if you care about battery life than you should absolutely buy the uni!!

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd chose to buy new instead.

I know buying refurbished products might of worked out well for some but to me its not worth saving a few hundred dollars.

I'd rather buy new because to me refurbished products are just machines that had a defect from previous owners that had a new logic board replaced.

I'm not very fond of logic board swaps because usually the new logic board comes from previous used (fixed) logic board so it has a high chance of breaking again.

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Unibody. Much faster machine, the High Res screen on the old generation doesn't really make it a competitor unless you are a graphic artist and desperately need it.

5. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea.. I should probably just buy new.. spending over 2 seems crazy to me, but what's another $500 when I'm already spending that much.. a few months ago I had a bad experience buying a refurb mbp and thought I would never do it again.. The one I sent back is probably the same one I'm looking at right now haha

6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Unless you are truely possesed of an unlimited supply of money the refurbs are a far better purchase. That said, I dont see why anyone would even consider the non unibody machine.

7. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Am I missing something?

It really looks like a no-brainer to me:

The price is exactly the same BUT with the unibody you have anti-glare, faster processor, faster RAM, better graphics with two video chips as opposed to the ticking-time bomb of the non-unibody, ability to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, and easy access to the hard disk for upgrades. You also get a much sturdier case and much better battery life. Also, your resale value is higher.

Only reasons I could come up with for getting the pre-unibodies is that you like the look and or the two firewire ports and or the port placement.

Oh, and don't sweat buying refurbished, AT ALL! I just got my refurb 17" and it is completely indistinguishable from a brand new one. No marks or scratches anywhere, no dead or stuck pixels, solid construction and I'm having perfect computing with the machine so far. I would love my future brand new laptops to come in my refurb's condition.

8. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

DEFINITELY NOT the prev gen 512mb 8600gt:eek:. They are defective (at least some of them). Get the other one and save yourself a headache:).