Which replacement HD should I buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by YourActual, Feb 4, 2015.

1. YourActual, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

YourActual macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need to replace the HD in my Mid 2010 27" iMac. The drive that it came with is a 1TB Western Digital, and I've read somewhere that the replacement needs to be the same brand due to variations in the connectors. Is that the case? I would have thought it'd be a standard SATA connection no matter which drive I use.

Also I understand there is an issue with monitoring temperature and the resulting fan speeds if I don't use the same drive as the one it came with. Is that also true?

I was hoping I could replace it with a Seagate 2TB Desktop 3.5inch 8GB SSD SSHD, a hybrid drive, but not sure if that is possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

iMac, Mid 2010 27"

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Your iMac runs iOS? :eek:

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

What the...?

Your Mac runs iOS? Bahahahahaha...

I wouldn't recommend SSHDs.

I'd just go for a pure SSD straight away, like a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo.

4. YourActual thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, not sure how iOS got there.

It has no OS now, it was Yosemite before the drive failed.

Is the SSD a straight swap, or is there anything else I need think about, for example monitoring HD temperatures for fan speed.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

In terms of speed, a pure SSD is the way to go. You will need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter if you intend on replacing the HDD with it.

You can get an external temperature sensor that will work with a third-party hard drive or SSD. OWC even offers a complete kit with all necessary tools and a temperature sensor which can also be bought separately.

This thread reminds me that I badly need to put an SSD in my 27" mid 2010, the 7200 RPM HDD really slows it down. I may eventually go for similar tools myself.

6. YourActual thread starter macrumors newbie

7. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I'd steer clear of the 840 EVO, despite a firmware update it still has slowdown issues.

8. dezzy443000gto macrumors newbie

Not sure if this will help but i have just converted my 5k iMac to a 2.5" ssd . I did read all the posts forums etc , i will say i have no problems with ramping fans etc . I have removed the 3.5" 3tb mechanical drive and fitted a 960gb crucial m500 ssd . I found some great information on a german site stating only replacement 3.5" mechanical drives needed a hdd fan control lead . The site stated and i can confirm a 2.5" ssd will not need this lead as only the 12v hdd power supply is monitored so any 5v 2.5" drive is ok