Which retina for just lightroom and Photoshop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by josh bear, Dec 12, 2014.

1. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi All

I edit photographs on both my current imac and my MacBook pro retina. There are a host of threads over the performance of both the base and upgraded model and I guess I am looking for a definitive view from owners of the models and users of lightroom and Photoshop.

The base model is in stock in the UK. A built to spec machine I guess wouldn't arrive until after Christmas.

I edit raw files from a full frame leica M. I use lightroom and then apply any further edits in Photoshop. In addition I occasionally edit family movies.

Will the base model work well for this? Note. I will be ensuring it has 32gb of ram.

Thanks for any help

Josh

2. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Yes, it will work very well for Lightroom and Photoshop.

3. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

Short answer: yes.

I bought mine last week. Didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks so I got the base model from the Apple store. I'm doing exactly what you're doing but with a Nikon. I'm running a 27" Thunderbolt alongside too. Working with just 8gb of RAM at the moment but will be upgrading soon.
    Not a single hitch. It's working really well and I'm really happy I didn't wait.

4. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks both. As always I gravitated to the highest model for no other reason than I like "bragging" rights. Which is ridiculous when I don't need the processor or graphics upgrade! The standard one TB is fine as I have external thunderbolt drives.

So Common sense has kicked in and I can spend that saved money on the other half or on a parrot drone for me. So common sense not 100 percent working yet. :)

Thanks again

Josh

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I have the upgraded model and I can't say that it is tremendously faster.

For LR, meh. It actually has some issues and some don't like how it works on ANY riMac. But that's likely software. What I did find, however, is that with a retina MY work actually got faster because I'm not zooming in and out all the time. A pleasant effect I hadn't counted on.

For PS, I think the multicore performance of the i7 is better. But I don't think I've come anywhere near stressing the chip, so I expect that in the real world it doesn't make that much difference either. Barefeats has a i7/295 vs i5/290 comparison, and in a PS noise reduction the i7 bested the other by 20.6 seconds to 16.9.

I think in retrospect I'd take the drone over those 3 seconds....

6. manowar macrumors regular

manowar

Josh i use Lightroom and Photoshop all the time and on Friday i walked into Apple and bought the base model 5K.
    Its bloody fast and both PS and LR work without any problems.