Which Revision of Klipsch Promedia 2.1's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darkplanets, Jul 19, 2010.

1. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

EDIT: Instead of making a new thread, I decided to edit and refocus this one. It's less clutter, and more to the point. For those who missed the original post, I was looking for good speakers (2.1+) for under $200. The only limitations (besides price) was that they needed a sub (no midwoofer), and had to sound good in all scenarios (music, movies, video games, etc).

In reference to the original post, I ended up picking the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. However I have not bought them yet, as there's some concerns about quality control that seem particularly pressing.

-For one, which revision should I get? The wireless one, manufactured more recently (2009), or the older non-wireless version? Do both revisions have quality issues?

-Is the quality control really that bad? I've heard a variety of horror stories about these speakers.

-If the wireless revision is the better version, how's the wireless audio sound? Is there a lot of interference from other 2.4 GHz devices? What channel?

On an unrelated note;
    Should I use a 50 ft mini-optical to TOSlink or shielded 3.5 mm line to connect to my TV? An unshielded 3.5 mm line has incredible interference and signal strength degradation.

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. darkplanets thread starter macrumors 6502a

EDIT: See the new OP.

4. darkplanets thread starter macrumors 6502a

No one? :(

Also, as additional notes, it would appear as if they fixed the DIN issue circa Feb, 2010. This was reported on the Klipsch forums. What I'm unsure of, however, is whether or not this was for both models or not. Furthermore there's still the sub issue that remains; I doubt they changed the component design near the heat sinks to accommodate the excess heat.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I found that the old version sounds better then the latest rendition. That of course is subjective and burn-in time wasn't accounted before, but the new ones sounded significantly grainer side-by-side.

6. mbrannon47 macrumors regular

Definitely the wired ones. I've owned them for YEARS and they still work beautifully. Be careful of the wires though, they tend to wear easily. If you're not moving them around all the time, you should be fine. Great speakers. Well worth the money.

7. phoobo macrumors regular

always avoid...

...wireless speakers. Not good.

8. darkplanets thread starter macrumors 6502a

It should be noted that they also have a regular 3.5 mm aux input; its not all wireless, and it should also be noted that the actual 2.1 unit is all wired. The only wireless component is an optional USB wireless input that they added to the old system by including a receiver and a USB thumb drive.

This kind of information is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Yeah, the only reason I was considering the wireless in the first place was that it gave me an additional input option; with it I wouldn't have to run ~30 feet of cable, or turn on my TV to listen to music. With that said though, I've never heard wireless audio before, so I don't know the quality. Theoretically it shouldn't be much different... but who knows.