Which rMBP should I buy? - my options.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatflookguy, Nov 3, 2013.

1. thatflookguy macrumors newbie

Morning people, I've held off buying the Haswell rMBP due to spec and price. I ain't ruled out that I shall buy one. To make it clear £1500 is my maximum limit.

It will be my main machine, used mainly for light video and photo editing, blog post posting and the odd steam game like eve and half-life.

Now, most people here know the options on the Apple site, a local company to me have 5 of:

15" retina, 2.4Ghz i7 quad core, 8GB 1600Mhz, 256GB flash drive, Gefore GT650M 1GB card. Brand new 2013 model. They are asking £1500 for it?

What should I go for?

Thanks, Lee

2. tmoerel macrumors 6502

That is NOT a brand new model. That is the spring 2013 model. The brand new end 2013 model has faster flash, faster wifi and thunderbolt 2 ports.

3. Hadron, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Hadron macrumors regular

Your call. That's the old model now (non-Haswell), if that matters to you, but the new ones will cost you more, especially if you want a dGPU. The price is the same that model is currently selling on Amazon marketplace for.

The Apple store refurb price for that model is £1,319, but they don't have stock at the moment (and that is a refurb, though certified, checked out and with the normal warranty cover). They do have the 2.6 GHz 512GB version of the same generation in this morning at £1,619, again refurb, but that is slightly over your maximum.

If you want at 15" retina for £1,500 then your options are probably that model at about that price or watch for a refurb to appear in the Apple store for less, unless you have access to the education discount.

4. thatflookguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I know this. What I meant was it un-opened. I'm a massive apple fan and fully up to date with their latest products.

5. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Thought of getting a new rMBP 13'' 512GB/8GB/2.6GHz for £1499?

Or get it with 16Gb ram with student discount for about £1560.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say you'll want a 15" screen for video and photoeditng. I used a 13" MBP for photoshop and found it too limiting.

7. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I'm a little dissapointed with the MBP pricing to be honest.

In my opinion Apple's fear of "canablisation" has caused them in my opinion to drastically overprice the entry level 15.

Really what they should have done was make the 13" 512 a BTO only option, and introduce the 15" entry level at £1400

8. theromz macrumors regular

If your going to get the early 2013 model I would recommend looking at ebay, I've seen that model as low as £1300, also if you can get a hand on a student discount you can get this years model for £1440, you lose the dGPU but gain faster flash storage, wireless, and better battery life if that is important too you.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The pricing structure is a bit different and it seems set up to direct you to the most expensive model, especially if you want the discrete GPU