Which rMBP should I keep?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cramazing, Mar 10, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

So the last 2 weeks have been kinda crazy for me in terms of Macs.

First I returned my iMac as I felt it was a waste of money for my usage (mainly just Microsoft Office, Web surfing, iTunes, and iPhotos) I'm a very simple user but I love Macs and love the Retina displays.

Then my office was having a huge upgrade project by going completely virtual on the server side and we were moving from desktops to all laptops with externals monitors, we all had the choice of laptops we want and I opt to go for the 13 RMBP since I will have to travel back and forth with this machine all the time.

I've been with this company for a long time and I know my job is safe there, so I decided to sell my 15" RMBP and just use the 13" for work and personal.

Been fine with that and everything is great and all.

Then comes the craziness, I was at some IT professionals trade show for work last week, it was huge and lots of companies were there trying to showcase their product and services.

To cut the story short, I put my business card in a raffle and I ended up winning a 2013 15" RMBP 2.8Ghz 16GB 768GB SSD. Basically the Ultimate max config machine that Apple has to offer at this time.

Now I know this machine is super overkill for my use but its hard to give up something like this.

So I dont know what I should do;

1. Use it for personal use. (the kid in me wants to do this):D
    2. Sell it. (the adult in me wants to do this, as I can get over $3k for it):cool:
    3. Sell the 13" and keep this. (theres rights and wrongs for this):confused:

Thanks,:apple:

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Does your company mind you using your work computer for personal use as well?

Would they allow you to sell the one that they gave you?

I would say if possible just keep the 13 for both business and personal and sell the one you won. If not, use the 15 for personal and the 13 for business.

----------

Oh, and before some one beats me to it:

You can send me the 15 :)

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sorta reminds me of when my son won a top of the line iPad at one of his company's get-togethers. He's not an Apple fan so immediately sold it.

You certainly have the option to sell the RMBP you won. I can't see how you can sell the 13" RMBP since your company owns it!

I don't like to use my company's computers for my own personal use. I've always had my own computer for my personal use. I'd recommend the same since your company could take the computer away at any time without notice and has the legal right to view all its contents as well!

So I'd say certainly choice 1, and it has nothing to do with the "kid in you." It makes sense from a purely adult standpoint!

And it's not a free computer. You do owe income taxes on it.

4. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

The only problem I have about keeping both is that I won't use them both enough to justified owning both, as i mention I am a simple user who really don't need the power of the Macs but I love the retina displays and slim size of these machines. But keeping both machines valuing almost $6k is kinda silly for just browsing the internet.

My company is a small 20-25 employee firm, so using my work computer for personal use wouldn't be a problem with them or I, they don't monitor anything on these machines nor do they put any special programs or applications in them, as mention above, everything is thru VMware and Office365.

They wouldn't mind me selling the 13" as long as I use the 15" for work, I've already asked about this and theres no problem.
    Im not worry about them asking for the machine back as I mention I've been with the company for a long time and I don't see myself leaving the firm anytime soon or them letting me go.

5. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

I think you should sell the 15" to me! :)

I seriously want to upgrade to that computer. It's amazing!

6. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

If you work in the area of patentable ideas or are a budding inventor or writer or photographer I would keep work separate from personal. According to most businesses, ANYTHING on a work computer is owned by the company. From an engineering point of view, if you develop an algorithm on your own but use your company computer/resources, they can claim the patent. If you write a novel on the computer that becomes successful, they may have legal claim on royalties....

If I were you, I would keep the wonderful machine you so luckily won as your personal computer. Given your needs, it seems like it should be suitable for at least 5 years with updates etc.. (if taken care of physically). Then get an AirBook for light travel, which should also be sufficient for your work needs.

That way you own your own digital destiny...

PS: If you want to sell your computer, I'll give you $2500 for it ;)

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Honestly, I would bank the extra cash and sell the 15" if the 13" fits your needs.

I would buy it to be honest.

8. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

Im a Consultant for a IT company, mainly sales. So i dont really write any programs or anything, as mentioned early, my usage is mainly on Safari using Office365, Sharepoint, and Autotask. I use the Office apps to create proposals and quotes, stuff like that. Itunes for my music, and i have a WD external for more media files and backups. I dont even play any video games, other than that i spend most of the time browsing the web.

I guess i answered my own question, the 13 does everything i need it to do.
    I dont want to own both machine as it is a complete waste of money.
    The 15" is a beast of a machine and I wont notice any difference in performance on the tasks that i do everyday on my computers, the only real difference is the size of the screen and thats about it.

I guess adding $3k to my bank won't hurt :D