Which RMBP Will Run The Coolest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CLASSIC MUSCLE, Jul 5, 2012.

1. CLASSIC MUSCLE macrumors member

I currently have the base-model RMBP and I have been noticing the keyboard and area below the screen heat up quite a bit during simple tasks such as web browsing and e-mail. If I were to upgrade to a 16GB RAM model or maybe the 2.6GHz or 2.7GHz would it result in a cooler running machine or make the heat worse? Or no change at all? I absolutely love everything about this computer except for the heat characteristics, but I also realize that Apple has really crammed a lot of computing muscle into a thin machine and heat comes with the territory....

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

TBH, I think the specs are so close, 2.6, vs 2.7, vs, 2.3 that you'll see nearly identical temps. The same goes for the ram.

That is they all should run about the same temp

3. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I have a 2.7GHz with 16GB and have noticed that the system runs fairly cool on the desktop. And when I use it on my lap it tends to warm up more. Very subjective at this point (third day of ownership). I can tell you that it runs much cooler then the unibody 15" and 17" MBP's that I have owned.

I ran 8 terminal sessions of "yes > /dev/null" which loads the CPU to 100% and system ran cool with the bottom front center warm but far from hot.

This machine is joy to use.

neil

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I'm not an expert, so please correct me if I am wrong, but from my personal experience it seems the GPU is the hottest part of my MBP. When I try to isolate the source of most of the heat, it seems to be in that region between the keyboard and the hinge for the screen, and both the top and bottom are extremely hot.

Heat seems to increase with watching youtube videos, using sites with flash or a lot of animations/etc.

Would processor affect the GPU much? I have a 2009 with the 3.06 Ghz processor. Also wondering if it would be cooler if I had the 2.8. From my desktop experience, overclocking tends to lead to more heat and needs more cooling.

5. VFC macrumors 6502a

The GPU chip is right of center on the MB; near the hinge. That should be the hottest spot while gaming. Especially considering the heat pipe for the GPU is also attached to the CPU chip; the heat pipe is already warmed up by the CPU before it reaches the GPU then on to the right side fan.

Attached Files: