Which rMCP to choose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pawelinho71, Sep 3, 2012.

1. pawelinho71 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I want to get my self my first macbook
    The question is I dont know which one to get.
    Im thinking about the 256gb/2.3/16gb model
    or 256gb/2.6/8gb

Im mostly going to be using it for school
    that is surfing the web
    then some games
    probably get windows on it
    and a bit of movie/photo editing(minor)

I would love to get the 256gb/2.6/16gb model unfortunetlly i cant find one for a reasonable price. Ive found the best prices on macmall plus i wouldnt pay tax for it.:apple:

2. kjlake macrumors member

Given the choices that you presented - along with your projected usage, I would opt for the version with 16GB of RAM - ultimately, I don't think that you would notice the incremental performance increase of the CPU - for most folks, RAM will eventually become the limiting issue. Of course, this is just my opinion and YMMV...:)

3. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

so playing games like battlefield 3, fifa 2012, diablo 3.....
    Will it make the computer work better, faster.

im thinking about it mostly because of the games.

4. kjlake macrumors member

I'm really not a big gamer, but from what I have read, you might consider the 2.6ghz CPU. For most games, the GPU is really the limiting factor, but for the little that I actually play Diablo III, system performance on my base rMBP is acceptable. It really is subjective though...

5. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

so will it be a visable difrence with the better 2.6? or is it just gonna be a visible price change? ;)
    :apple:

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It looks like at this point you can go for a base model but you may want to upgrade the specs if you anticipate more intensive usage in the future. If you anticipate needing more RAM in the future then certainly go with the 16 GB configuration, but as far as the processor I would simply go for the 2.3 GHz quad-core, and the 256 GB SSD will be plenty for your games and other applications that you will want to have on the main drive - and you can use external storage for your photos, music, and the like if you need to.

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have a MBP 13'' with 2.3ghz, i5, 8gb ram. I play D3, CS:GO, web surf, lite photo editing and 8b ram is more than enough. I always have at least 3gb-4gb of ram free. I don't see why people keep saying you need 16gb.

8. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK then so for the future I should be getting 16gb of ram.

And i have one more question what does ram give me(More aplications in one time) and what does a better processor give me(more calculations in that time)
    And which one should I get if i will be gaming and getting windows on it?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the 16gb of ram for the future. I'm not worry too much about a faster processor. You'll be paying a premium for a small bump in speed.

10. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Ill get the 16GB/2.6GHz/256GB model.
    I guess the lowest price is on macmall. they have it for $ 2312.57 and without tax.

Has anyone had or seen a better offer?

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

RAM stands for random access memory, basically what it does - when you first start up your computer you will notice that applications take a certain amount of time to load, but once you open a specific one it saves or "memorizes" it to your RAM essentially, allowing it to sort of recall on it faster during the same computing session. Therefore, more RAM will allow more programs to act in this manner and will also allow you to run specific applications that require more RAM upfront.

12. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. vito macrumors 6502a

I went for the 2.3/16/512

Didn't think the 2.6 would be any better in performance.

The RAM upgrade is just to future proof for the next few years as if you're like me, I only upgrade my Mac every 4 years.