Which rMPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snapdragonx, Oct 31, 2012.

1. snapdragonx macrumors regular

Hi all - I'm new here. Sorry if this has been asked before..

Unfortunately where I live there's nowhere I can go to look at the retina MBPs (unless I drive a half hour or so)...

So, a couple of questions -

What's the 15" rMPB like in terms of portability? Do those of you who have one wish it was smaller/lighter?

I'd definitely prefer the 13" size, but lack of dedicated graphics/quad core is making it a tough decision...

Is the 13" rMPB powerful enough for casual video editing on the road? I do most of my work on my desktop, but it would be nice to have a laptop that can handle it when I'm away on projects. I use Avid Media Composer, and I wouldn't call it the lightest of applications..

Any info that could help me make a decision would be appreciate!

2. skcrane macrumors member

I just got a 15inch macbook pro retina and I have to say that I love the 15inch screen compared to the 13 inch macbook air. The question I think you have to decide is space on the ssd can you live with 128gb ssd if not then the question is $1999 for the 13 inch or $2199 for the 15inch for me the question is easy the 15 inch the screen is so much bigger and the discrete video card is nice. Really the difference is only 0.8 pounds so not even 1 pound. If you really need portability I would say go with the 13 but honestly the 15inch is the best laptop I have ever used.

3. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Yeah i'd definitely want 256gb SSD.

Another thing I'm wondering is how Windows runs under bootcamp with the high res display?

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you get a retina, get one of the 15" models. The 13" is grossly overpriced for what it offers.

I'd also suggest maxing the RAM, as you cannot upgrade it later.