which route to take?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Marti23, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Marti23 macrumors member

I think im going to buy the new imac but i need to get rid of my old macbook pro. I can do it through apple ebay or craigslist...

Has anyone tried "get an apple gift card for the value of your old computer" program that I see is offered on apple.com. I will be getting rid of my old laptop because I dont need the portability anymore and will be getting an imac but i dont want to send it in and have them quote me a low price. On the other hand, I dont want to be stuck with ebay fees as well. Has anyone had any experience with craigslist. I dont know how i feel about meeting someone to do a transaction.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. pyramis macrumors member

Do you live in a major metropolitan area where Craigslist is common? If so, then you have less to worry about. I've sold lots of stuff through CL, including Apple laptops. Just be totally up-front, honest and comprehensive about the condition of your machine. Post good photos. Use good judgment when communicating with potential buyers. If they sound flakey over email, they're probably flakey in real life. Expect to get one serious buyer for every five emails. If you're worried about meeting people at your home, meet them in a public place like a coffee shop.

Ebay is fine too, but you have to deal with shipping and auctioning. You can generally get a higher price on CL.