Which router do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boatcapt, Jan 18, 2014.

1. boatcapt macrumors member

I've recently added another ATV to my network and it seems to have slowed my network down considerably. I have a old linksys g router. I have 2 phones, 2 atv's, a touch, 2 iPads accessing the network. Not all of them at once, but most of them pretty regularly. Would upgrading to the newer technology help me with my speeds? Imy network use to run fairly smoothly but now it's getting slow. I was looking at the Apple AirPort Extreme and the asus rt-ac66u. Oh, I forgot, I have a MacBook Pro also. Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The latest Airport Extreme will fit the bill. All your devices are 802.11n or even slower, but if you get a 802.11ac router, then you're positioned for the future. Plus the Airport Extreme base unit is dual band which will help throughput.

Also check out http://smallnetbuilder.com

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If you mean you're using a Linksys with only g speeds, then I would agree a 802.11n router would help, and for the future maybe an ac. But I'd look at other stuff than an Extreme. It's nice to have a router that can use external antennas, since I'm gonna guess all that equipment is rather spread out. Dual radios could help as well; you could put the slowest stuff on a different band which might help you. And do go to smallnetbuilder; they're great.