Which router is the best? Wireless or wired

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hidehide, Sep 21, 2007.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I want a router that doesnt drop internet connection.. Im tired of all those wireless router.. I tried linksys, netgear, belkin.. they all drop internet connection..
    I heard that the old cheap wired router will do a decent job without dropping internet connection, do you guys know any??

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you mean your routers have been loosing their connection to the internet (not likely) or you've been loosing wireless connection to the router through poor signal (more likely)?

A wired router will always be better and faster than wireless, but then you can move from room to room with an ethernet cable handing out your laptop. just a choice you make.

3. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

Its my router loosing their connection to the internet.. I didnt drop any wireless connection to the router..
    It can be fixed by restarting the router..
    But then I need to restart my router at least 10 times a day..

Do you know any good wired router? I want speed and consistent. I mostly leave the laptop on my table anyway.. wired or wireless doesnt make a big difference..

PS, just find out sometimes its only my macbook that loose internet connection through the router.. but i stayed connected to the router... but I cant ping the router's ip.. and it takes a few minutes, and the internet comes back.. while other pc has no problem at all...

4. gormond macrumors regular

Then I would say wired will make no difference as the wireless part of a wireless router is connecting to your PC, not the internet.

If it were me i would call up my ISP and complain to them about it.

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

If you've tried that many routers and all your connections have been lost then its either your not entering the right settings in the router or your ISP is screwy and you'll need to contact them.

6. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Have you tried connecting your Macbook directly to your modem? Does the internet drop out then?

7. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems that its only my macbook that stops pinging the router..
    other pc laptop works fine.. but it doesnt show im disconnected.. but I cant connect to the internet, and not even the router's login page..
    I tried to switch it to only 802.11g.. and also changed the decryption from WPA to 64bit WEP.. but problem still there..
    Searched a little bit, and a guy say its because of the QoS thing.. i switched it off.. the problem still there...