Which router to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ghall, May 5, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, I'm looking for a decent router that's easy to configure with a Mac. I was thinking the AirPort Express, but is there any other routers out there that can be easily configures with a Mac?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Depends what you want.

The AirPort Express is a handy way to network Macs (wirelessly) and share a printer (via USB on the AE).

Personally, I like Linksys WRT54G wireless routers.

Netgear makes some good ones as well.

I also like my AE.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh snap! I forgot about the AEs ability to share printers! That would be really useful! Is that worth the extra cost of the AE alone?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I like AE because you can use it to make an instant network that works well with Windows and Macs to communicate with each other.

As for the AE, I personally like the Stereo feature with iTunes. It works very well and is easy to use.

As for the AE sharing printers, I moved over to a Brother networkable printer and so as long as it is on the network via Ethernet, any computer (Mac, Windows) can print along with my Newton. I like that solution best. I don't need an AE for that. Any router will work which is nice.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Just got back from CompUSA, with Airport Express in hand. It was easy to set up, and everything. So far it's working great.

7. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

I have a question. What is the diff. between the Airport Express station and the airport extreme station? Both are wireless routers, right? Or does the Express need the Extreme to function as a router?

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Yes, both are wireless routers.

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I think wildthing1994 is looking for something which compares/contrasts the two.

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, the Airport Express has Airtunes(so you can play your itunes through your stereo) and the Extreme has a faster wireless singnal, other than that, I really don't know.

11. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Another recommendation for the Airport Express. :)
    If I was going to upgrade to a draft n network, I'd wait for a new version of it.

The little light on top is actually quite useful!

12. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

The express can only have ten clients connected at a time when it is acting as a router, while I believe the extreme can accommodate up to 50 clients at once.

13. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

Ok thanks, so from what I now understand is the Extreme is just the Express on steroids. Kinda like the Mbp is to the Mb

14. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

There's more of a difference than that. The express is a light version of a router whereas the extreme has some useful features, like a wired lan port. If all you need is wireless, then express will work fine. I've got a network where I have an airport extreme, and the wired lan is running through a switch so I can hardwire my desktops and xbox360. I've also got the wireless running for laptops or any random wireless device that I want to connect.