Which Router works best with multiple Mac OS versions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nightrelic, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Nightrelic macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a G4 iMac running OS 10.2.8, a G5 iMac running OS 10.4, an intel Macbook Pro running 10.5.8 which I'm thinking about upgrading and an iBook running OS 10.3. I'm into retro Macs and like to keep them running.

With my current Router, my intel Macbook Pro ends up knocking out the router regularly so I have to turn it off and on to reboot it. his doesn't happen with the retro Macs. I had my G5 iMac at my Mom's house where they have a newer Airport router. The g5 couldn't get on it at all.

So, what's my best bet for a new router that will work with all 4 machines? I usually keep the G4 hardwired.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Nightrelic thread starter macrumors newbie

The one I'm using now is an old Belkin Wireless G Router, model F5D7230-4. It's connected to a Comcast Arris converter box.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Belkin products are notorious for not playing nice with Apple products. I'd get something like the Netgear N300; it's $50 or so and 802.11n. Should work great.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Not true. I've used Belkin routers (+ usb & firewire pci cards too) with every mac I've ever owned nottaproblemo. Starting with the original iMacs, Ibooks, B&W's, Sawtooths, QS's, G5 MP's and my current MBP....

NOTTAPROBLEMO, ever :eek:

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually it is true, and it's well known that Belkin products often fail to function properly with Apple devices.