Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Or other not listed.
Use for home, building wired network for about 10+ user points including 2 TVs and a home theater. Also using an Ooma voip system and network printer.
looking at these three..
Netgear
GS116
FS116
GS716T-200

Wanting brain dead easy and nothing to manage. Will take other suggestions.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Hmmmmm

Cable modem>time capsule with 1)network printer 2)Ooma voip >switch?
1) Home theater
2-7) 6 macs
8-9) televisions
10) PoE switch>surveillance cameras

so I guess? switch?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I use two of the D-Link DGS-2208 8-Port 10/100/1000 Desktop Switch. For my main router (hanging off my cable modem) I use the D-Link DGL-4100 4-Port GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router because it use CAT6 connections (future proofing). I then bought and Time Capsule and set it up into "Bridged Mode" and have my USB2 External connected to it acting like Media server. This way my Mac Book Pro and iPhone have connections through the house.

Since Apple now allows externals on Extreme's to act as Time Machine I would do that instead of the Time Capsule, for the simple fact if the drive fails it would be easily replaced. So IMHO you would be better off with an Extreme instead of a Time Capsule.

I then wired my HDTV and internet radio capable Audio Receiver in my living room Using one of the switches (in the living room). This way there will not be any wireless noises in video/audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.