Which safari extensions you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appleraj, Jan 5, 2012.

1. appleraj macrumors member

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

3. appleraj thread starter macrumors member

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

6. meget macrumors member

good tip. Just installed it.

I also use:
    1Password
    Game release
    Safari restore
    Invisible status bar

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Lastpass
    Adblock
    Ultimate Status Bar
    Gmail Counter
    ExifExt
    Tineye

8. Shrink, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

LastPass (Premium Version)
    ClickWeather
    Adblock

LastPass and Adblock are great. Absolute necessitates - especially Adblock.No ads, no pop ups, nothing. Just great!:D

Edit: Add Awesome Screenshot. Super extension that puts taking screenshots, cropping, editing, blurring, marking with arrows, sending to various sites (e.g. Gmail, Facebook, etc.) all in one place. Very easy to use.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TinEye
    NoMoreiTunes
    JavaScript Blacklist
    Translate
    Old Google Image Search
    Google Search Cleanup

10. appleraj thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I deleted safari adblock but have these now and safari is flying. Don't see no ads either on webpages like apple insider etc, Java is disabled. Am i doing it right? . macbook is blazing fast now with my owc sad, i guess safari adblock was slowing me down. Any suggestions, Thanks in advance. I never installed flash either.

Attached Files:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many have reported performance problems with the Safari AdBlock extension. I use Safari AdBlock (not the extension, but the older version 0.4.0), SafariBlock and GlimmerBlocker, and I rarely see any ads and have no performance problems. I don't know if all those run on Lion (I run Leopard and Snow Leopard), so you may or may not be able to use some of those.

12. appleraj thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, you are always very helpful to everyone. I do have lion and glimmer blocker needs java. I read steve's Thought on flash and saw his Macworld 2010 interview with Walt, so don't trust flash and java. But using the Mac with these extensions posted above I don't feel the need for adblocker, do I. Any input, thank you much

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I run GlimmerBlocker with Java disabled. It works fine.

You can still use Flash, but keep it on a tight leash:

14. appleraj thread starter macrumors member

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The above method will still make web sites think you have Flash and they will try to serve up Flash content, even though Clicktoflash blocks it. A better method is to remove Flash altogether as described here by John Gruber. Then just use Chrome (has its own Flash built in) if you find a site that really requires Flash (I find this happens less and less). This way when you use Safari sites will see you do not have Flash installed and serve up the non-Flash version of their site.

Also, this way you never have to update Flash again as it gets updated automatically along with Chrome.

Use this extension to make Youtube play the HTML version. If you just use the HTML5 link posted by GJ you will not be able to see embedded Youtube videos on non-Youtube web pages.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had any problems of any kind, using the tools I posted.
    That's not an option, considering many sites still require Flash to deliver their content.
    There is no need to change browsers to keep Flash under control. Changing to another browser may require giving up some of the functionality that affects daily workflow, as not all plugins, extensions, etc. are fully replicated in all browsers.
    Having to switch between two browsers is a highly inefficient approach, when one browser can do the job quite well.
    I've never had a problem with that, either.

You can use whatever method you want, but changing browsers and uninstalling Flash is not necessary.

17. appleraj thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Weaselboy for explaining it simply yet precisely. I have learned a lot from helpful and intelligent people in the forum like you, ggj, sfoalex and many more. Thank you all

----------

Does Perian work in lion?

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There seems to be a theme with you dismissing ideas you personally do not prefer.

Read the article I linked and give it a try and you will see Safari runs faster and many sites will serve up a non-Flash version if Flash is not detected on your system.

For the once or twice a week I run into a site that requires Flash, I run the below script from Alfred and it opens the current Safari tab in Chrome. Takes about one second.

Maybe give something a try before you write it off.

Code:
    tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
    tell application "Google Chrome"
    	activate
    	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
    	tell window 1
    		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
    			set URL of active tab to currentURL
    		else
    			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
    		end if
    	end tell
    end tell

----------

Yep.

19. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Never really had a good look at all the extensions available for Safari. I do have AdBlock to get rid of the ads from MacRumors ;)

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't dismiss it or say no one should try it. I said it wasn't necessary.
    Many, but not all. When you encounter one that doesn't, you're forced to switch browsers, install Flash or not view the site. With ClickToFlash, a click of the mouse selectively allows some Flash to play, while blocking the rest.
    Why should I try it if I have efficiency, good performance and no problems with my current set-up? If someone else wants to, that's up to them.

The thread is about what Safari extensions people use, not how to get rid of Safari.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I could not care less if you do this or not. My suggestion was try (test?) something before you declare it "unnecessary." From your inaccurate comments it is clear you did not even read the Gruber article I linked.

Ah... so now you are the thread police. Have a nice day.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you don't care if I do it, but you care whether I read the article. Curious.
    I read that article over a year ago, and please point out which comment I made that was inaccurate. :rolleyes:

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You really need to work on your reading comprehension.

This. If you remove Flash from OS X and install Chrome, Flash sites will still work in Chrome using Chrome's built in Flash support, as explained in the article.

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Why disable java?

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Java represents a security vulnerability. Read the last section and last sentence of the Mac Virus/Malware Info