Which Screen Protector with Incase Slider?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Resist, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I recently purchased the Power Support Crystal Film set to use on my iPhone 4 and Incase Slider case. The screen protector went on great but once I put my iphone into the Slider, bubbles formed along the case edge. I'm pretty sure if I try cutting the film down a bit, to try to get it to fit better with the case, it won't be straight and will end up looking worse than it does now. So at this point I feel like I just wasted $15.

Does anyone know of a screen protector that actually fits better with the Incase Slider?

2. reebs macrumors 6502

Zagg has a screen protector specifically for slider. Agent 18 also has one and best skins ever (they call it I think protective cover for apple bumper).

3. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Other than the waste of time wet install screen shields that are cut specifically for the bumper case (they leave quite a bit of the borders of the screen exposed) you are out of luck for a specific one.

With that said, go to Walmart or a hardware store and get a small piece of sandpaper and "smooth" out the underside of the lip of piece of plastic that actually comes over the glass.

It may take a couple of attempts to get the right amount of plastic shaved off but as long as you have a good install of the screen protector (meaning perfectly aligned) then the case will eventually go on without bubbling the screen shield.

The Incase Slider even lifted my Monoprice screen shield which is the thinnest one I've seen. Shaving the inside of the case for about 5 minutes while applying little to no pressure made it fit.

4. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

The problem is once it's done then I can't ever use my iPhone in that case again without a screen protector, because it won't fit as snug. I think I'd rather take my chances at trimming down a $15 set of screen protectors, instead of sanding down a $35 case.

5. reebs macrumors 6502

The agent 18 one is not a wet install. Check this video out. Should work perfect with the incase slider. Only thing is, it's anti-glare which may affect clarity of the screen. I asked reviewer about it, he said it doesn't really affect clarity all that much.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

And the link is?

7. reebs macrumors 6502

8. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

The Agent 18 screen protector seems similar to ZAGG's slider case screen protector, in that the protector is cut a tad to short leaving a gap between it and the case lip. This makes for another area dirt can build up in. Plus I don't like how the area around the camera and ear speaker is one open hole. Also that the area below the Home button is open.

Quite honestly, I really like the feel of my Power Support Crystal screen protector but just wish it was cut a bit smaller for my Incase Slider case.

I emailed Incase about this issue and here is what they said:

Our products are designed to exacting proportions to fit securely
    with Apple devices. This means that often our cases will not work with
    the addition of a screen protector film. We suggest removing any film
    before attaching the Incase product to your device to prevent any
    bubbling or detachment issues.

Considering the screen is more likely to be damaged, you'd think Incase would be the one making them for their cases, like many other case manufactures (like Switcheasy) does.

9. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

10. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I am not a fan of ZAGG products, since the Zaggsparq issue.

11. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Yes you can. Stick a back skin on it and it will fit the same way if you choose to not use a front protector, but you should be using a screen protector anyway if you are that concerned about protection.

In any event it is pretty evident that nothing will please you. It seems you bought the wrong case and just don't want to admit it. You have been given several options and while not perfect, they each work.

Truthfully this is the reason I avoided the Slider in the first place depsite loving it for the 3g.

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Great idea, thanks!