Which screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nui, Feb 8, 2011.

1. nui, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

nui macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and I was searching over it which screen protector to use.
    By far, i really lile this forum, he taught me a lot of things about the camera apps and tips. People are nice and answer kindly.
    The iphone 4 (AT&;T) is awesome, I got it almost 2 weeks ago.

Then i was scouting the iphone accessories to get some screen protector.
    I hope I won't bother a lot of people because the questions were asked many times for which screen protector to get.
    At first, i was going for Zagg, but i saw a lot of critics for the touching quality and orange peel.
    And I saw a lot of positive reviews for PS and SGP, but now i'm stuck beetween those two.
    I want a screen protector against scratches (that's why i was interested in zagg).
    So after a lot of reading over many thread, I noticed not a lot of people were talking about the SGP Incredible Shield Series (apart from 1 or 2 threads), it is like Zagg? (bad touching quality ?)

At the moment, i'm for the SP Crystal Front and Back, because i would like to keep the retina display as a fan of photography, i spent like 9€ on applications after i read the Post your photos thread.
    I'm sorry for my long text (and any english errors) and i would appreciate your advices.
    Thanks.

2. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Powersupport crystal or any crystal SP for that matter with static cling type installation.

3. nui thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

SGP Oleo for crystal clear quality. Really thin and can't be noticed. PS crystal is also a good choice.

5. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

look up wrapsol on here they make a better protector to zagg but it is also anti scratch with warranty

6. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

If you want scratch and damage protection, then go with either the Wrapsol Ultra or Bodyguardz Dry Apply. Both are pretty easy to put on as long as you line them up and clean the screen. The offer the same Zagg style protection, but in dry applications. The only bad thing is that if you screw it up, you pretty much wasted money.

The Power Support and other static cling ones are easy to put on and with some scotch tape can be re-used and refixed on the screw if you make a boo boo.

If you aren't comfortable putting them on yourself, then go to Best Buy and buy a protector from them. They will install it for you. I believe they do the static cling ones for free, but they charge $10 for the Zagg style. If you buy a Power Support, the Apple store will usually install those for free. Just take it in there with you and talk to one of the nerds at the Genius bar. Also, AT&T stores will usually put them on there for free too if you buy from them.

7. tekbeattv macrumors member

tekbeattv

Personally I prefer using either the PowerSupport Crystals or the SGP Ultra Crystal Clears. :)

8. nui thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your advices!
    I'll take a look at wrapsol and bodyguardz.

9. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i would do wrapsol for most protection and powersupport for static cling protector

10. nui thread starter macrumors newbie

I really thank you for your answers, i'll follow rapaleeman advice and buy an PS crystal because it will be the first time i'll put a screen protector and maybe take a front wrapsol protector for the future.
    Thanks again!

11. taskmanager macrumors regular

12. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Good luck. Check out a couple youtube videos for tips on how to actually get pieces of dust out after you have applied it.

Just a heads up. When you first put it on, you will probably mess up. My mistakes were that I immediately got angry and then threw them away. I have obviously learned not to do that now, but it can be frustrating.

The PS protectors come with an applicator thing. It is basically a big piece of tape that you apply first to make sure there are no specks of dust. After you apply the screen protector and if you do have dust, lint, hair, or whatever just use a small piece of scotch tape to lift the corner of the applied screen protector. Then take another small piece to get it off. A video on youtube (there are plenty) will help.

I wish I had known that trick a few years ago. I would have saved tons of money on screen protectors.

13. triptyx macrumors member

triptyx

As a fellow photographer, I'd seriously suggest PS Crystal. Once you get it on dust free, you can't even tell it's there. I had one for my 3g and now one for my 4 and I love it.

Dropped my phone on the tile the other day - it hit on a corner and slid on the front PS covered glass. Other than the corner of my inCase snap cover being cracked up a bit (which is why I use a case), the PS Crystal Film was a little scratched and definitely saved the front glass from getting scratched.

14. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i'm currently using a wrapsol for the back and sides and an steinheil ultra crystal for the front. I didn't realize how thick the wrapsol was until i had the ultra crystal on the front. its a huge difference.

Personally, i'm debating whether or not to switch back to the wrapsol when my replacement gets here. the Steinheil, thin and clear as it may be, is just slightly smaller by design than the front glass plate. though the wrapsol is also smaller than the glass, it can be stretched.

15. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

This is one of the reasons I don't use SGP anymore. That and the stupid adhesive crap they use. It makes it very difficult to get the shield to lay flat without any bubbles. Especially around the camera and home button.

16. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i got a perfect install with mine. so i don't have any bubbles. you cant really tell the protector is there until you actively look for it. i did a horrible job with my wrapsol, so you could tell the front had something on it though. maybe i'll try again later with my new one.

17. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I like Power support, its virtually invisible...and honestly if you blindfolded me and made me touch a naked screen and one with the PS screen on it, I'd have a hard time telling which one had a screen on, it's that good.

I didn't have many problems installing the front, but the back was challenging for some reason, I think I ruined it as I have a big bubble on the left edge that won't go away even after I lift it....maybe I depleted the adhesive I don't know.

18. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

You can definitely feel the power support crystal if you've used a bare screen for some time. It has an ever-so-slight grab to it.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

does anyone have a coupon code for powersupport's website?
    thanks in advance!!!!

20. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Buy it from J&R. They have the cheapest prices I could find. If you're in the city, it's even easier, just head downtown.

22. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I ordered mine from J&R in NYC as well. 1 week from there to me in Indiana (they use crappy shipping).

23. nies macrumors 6502

Put my power support crystal front and back on immediatey when I got my Verizon iPhone and it was simple with no bubbles, none of my friends believe me that I had a screen protector on

24. nui thread starter macrumors newbie

I order my PS crystal front and back via their website because I live in europe and there is no stores who are selling those screens protectors. :(
    I may receive next week though, can't wait!