Which screwdriver do I need to open the MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grounderz, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Grounderz macrumors newbie

I have a i7 2.66 15" Mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and have recently ordered a new battery.

My question is, what type of screwdriver do I need to be able to unscrew the battery out and put the new one in? I have heard of the sophisticated tri-wing Y screwdrivers, and if so, what model/number of that screwdriver do I need?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Jexta macrumors member

A tri-wing (tri-lobe) screwdriver is the recommended screwdriver but to be honest all you need is a small flat blade and a steady hand.

If you gently insert the flat blade across two of the three Y lines and gently turn the screwdriver you should be able to remove the screws without too much worry. I wouldn't go doing it regularly as the screws are quite soft and you risk stripping them, but for one removal and replacement it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are careful and understand that you could strip the screw and make things very problematic.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

All You Need.. if you are competent..

Almost everything you need to know, as well as Tool Sales, is on here.. and DO NOT scrimp and try using 'cheap tools'.. Ever.. ** or pay someone else who KNOWS what they are doing if you do not feel competent!! :cool:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15"_Unibody_Mid_2010

4. Grounderz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Jexta, thanks. I tried to use a few different tools to hopefully I might get the miracle to unscrew it. From the looks of it, it seems Apple had them tightened up quite hard so it's a nearly impossible job to do without the try tri-wing screwdrivers.

Hi bobcan, that's the perfect guide I need. Thank you very much.

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

You are quite welcome.. And they DO sell a pretty much 'all inclusive' Tool Kit as well.. if you are keeping the machine for a while/ plan on future repairs to other computers.. ** Until Apple invents 'another new screw-type'..

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have this set and its indispensable, get set includes everything you'll need.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

^^Same here, it is a great set, until now no broken bits!