Which set up suits my requirements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lalanda, Jul 23, 2013.

1. lalanda macrumors newbie

I'm moving from a 2010 MBP to a new MBA and I was wondering what processor I require for my particular needs.

I generally have Chrome running with a large number of open tabs, plus Word or Final Draft, and a video/flash video playing at the same time.

No video/music editing.

Would I need the i5 or the i7? Would I notice the difference between them (other than battery life and thermal)?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll probably not notice any difference between the i5 and the i7, so I'd go with the i5 and save yourself some $$

3. mattferg macrumors 6502

Go with the i5. i7 is a waste of money and you won't notice it, like, ever.

4. mtom12 macrumors newbie

i5 is plenty for basically everything.

Hell, even the i3 which they dont offer is fine for basic use

5. Taskman macrumors newbie

Taskman

This.

You will benefit more from using the 8GB version than going with the i7 in this case.

6. lalanda thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mattferg macrumors 6502

*in every case :)

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

But you will benefit from both if you can afford it.

Do you NEED an i7? No. Who needs 20-25% better performance? Nobody. :rolleyes:

9. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Nobody. They only offer it as a profit pusher for suckers like you and I.:rolleyes:

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

LOL!!! I love it. Then yes, I will suck on my lollipop while I surf the net on my i7 powered beast. :D

11. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

20-25%? Source? Everything I read is maybe 5% plus a hit on battery life.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oops. Sorry. I misquoted the Anandtech review. Its actually 27%.

"Oh man, the Core i7 upgraded seriously fixes everything. We get near perfect scaling here, showing a massive 27% increase in performance over the default Core i5 1.3GHz setup."

"If you need more performance however, the 1.7GHz Core i7 upgrade (4650U) delivers. In most situations you get more than a 20% increase in performance,..."

So yes, it matters whether you get an i7 or not.

13. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

But you could put your kid through his first year in college with the money you'd save.:rolleyes:

:D

14. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Why are people buying a Macbook Air for performance. It baffles me.

Yes it is your money and you are free to do as you please. But you're taking a 15-20% hit on batery according to Anand.

That defeats the whole purpose if the Air. Yes while 20% performance boost means you'll go from 10 seconds to export 720p to 8 seconds... but with 20% hit on battery life means you'll be losing a couple of hours!

The op here clearly doesn't need any extra performance. He wants to browse and watch youtube while using basic functions that even 8 year olds laptops can handle with ease.

The i5/4gb is plenty enough. Where I'm from it costs 300usd to upgrade to i7/8gb. If you're thinking 'games', buy a ps4 instead with that money. MBA is NOT a gaming device.

If you need to edit videos/design for work, get something with dedicated graphics. Even a 2011 15" MBP destroys the 2013 MBA in performance, especially where gpu is key. Over 100% improvement over the Air in many cases. Now THAT is noticeable.

But at end of the day, buy something that makes you feel good. If you can wait, wait a couple months for the Retina Haswell to be released. The 13" Retina will be much faster than the MBA, and if it gets a 100usd price drop like the Air then there would be just minimal price difference for a notebook that is about the same size, offers a fsr superior screen, and a faster build.

If you use it for daily tasks though, especially traveling a lot, MBA is a clesr cut winner. And i7 nor 8gb are essential for daily functions like using office and answering emails... and browsing. Though, an increase of RAM will payback in a couple of years.

Imo i5/4 is the best build, and hence it's Apple's default spec. I5/8gb is giid fir future proofing if you plan on using it for a while. And i7/8gb is good if you need light graphics work AND cannot wait till September for a Retina Haswell.

Cheers.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Add me to the club for i5 processor and 8GB of RAM. Your described usage seems like it would benefit from more RAM rather than the i7 processor.

Yes, there are situations where upgrading to the i7 processor is beneficial, but I don't think the OP needs it.

16. lalanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys, for the discussion.

I can appreciate both views, but it seems those recommending the i5 understand my particular needs. I'm getting an MBA for the general portability for browsing and word processing on the go. It won't be my sole computer.

And the consensus seems that for this the i5 will be the best fit.

Battery life and heat are a consideration.

17. mattferg macrumors 6502

Not a lot of people need 20=25% more performance than an i5, hence why you recommending it to everyone on this forum, especially students, is silly.

Who needs 15-20% better battery life? Everyone.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? You spend that much time on your laptop away from a power plug?

Ok.

You are right. Not everyone needs the fastest computer they can buy.

Enjoy your i5. I'll enjoy my 25% and be silly. :rolleyes:

19. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

Oh no! He will encode a movie 15 seconds faster than me.. what will I do with all the time I lost.. oh wait I have an iMac for complex tasks, the MBA is designed to be a portable long lasting device and yes someone of us are away from an outlet. Do you know how nice it is to get a full days work without bringing a charger or lasting an entire plane trip across the US? Or better yet students who can last the whole day on one charge.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I do. My i7 allows me to do this.

21. TechnologyAddic macrumors newbie

TechnologyAddic

Thanks guys this has also made my decision easier :)

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Gotta love the i7 envy...LOL

23. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

That's just hilarious. You're basically negating the 2013 Macbook Air's single competitive advantage.

The whole promotional campaign was featured around the enormous battery life boost, and you're here trying to be smart questioning why someone who bought an Air why he would need so much battery life on an Air...

You basically bought a low-performance laptop with a 3 year old screen to put on your desk, but for the same cost you could get a a modern quad-core processor with dGPU that would beat your Air by 150-200% in performance.

Hell, even a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" would more than double your i7's performance.
    And a 2009 Mac Pro? 500% faster than your current air.

Bragging about performance on a Macbook Air while mocking the battery lifespan as unnecessary... seriously?

24. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i'm not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to understand the argument - obviously the i7 will require more battery to run and ostensibly generate more heat - but is the consensus that this is noticeable in real-world use?

maybe i haven't been paying attention recently but i thought this had been "disproven" or at least demonstrated to not really be an issue?

not saying this negates the wisdom of the i5, as i think you know my position there, i'm just trying to understand the facts:)