Which setup should i go with?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EB66, Mar 8, 2008.

1. EB66 macrumors 6502

Ive have a Powerbook G4 that I got for christmas in 2005 I believe (whenever the 1.67ghz had just came out). Anyways, I would like to switch over to an intel platform so I can utilize windows and would also like to have an isight.

The thing is, I kind of like the idea of owning two computers, a desktop and a laptop because that way i can make use of my time machine drive I have and also transfer files between them with remote desktop and be able to have a printer and big screen all the time.

If I figure if worst case i get $500 for my laptop then I will have around $1500 to spend overall and heres some options

1. Get a nice used 15" MBP core duo (not core 2 duo) for a around $1k. Buy another hd for $150 or so. Then pocket the rest

2. Keep the Powerbook. Get a 20" Alum iMac for around $1k.

3. Any other options?

I havent had a desktop in years so im not sure if ill like it. Ive hooked my PB up to my tv a bunch of times but its too far away and i cant read anything unless i zoom in and out all the time. And somehow I always find myself sitting on the couch on my laptop instead of at a desk.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

an iMac and MacBook make a very sweet combo... But that's only if you'll actually use the iMac. I know if I had a desktop, I'd never use it... and I ended up with a Macbook Pro, but it's too big, and I wish I had a smaller computer, but I like the dedicated graphics card..

I'm sorry, this probably didn't help. but if I had to do it all over again, I'd get a Macbook for mobility, and build a PC for gaming and to hold my music... ($1800 total)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think you just answered your own question. I'd recommend getting another laptop. I'd go with option 1.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I know it sounds dumb to spend the extra, but the Core Duo's ran hot.. I'd get a reburb SR C2D because it'll run MUCH cooler, have a better battery life, and an LED screen that won't dim with age.

5. thesheep macrumors regular

thesheep

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

It depends how much you use your computer on the go, and in other rooms/locations.

If you're going to make the effort to upgrade, I agree you really should go for a Core2Duo.

My advice is this: get a nice external LCD screen. Maybe a 2nd hand 20" cinema display, or a cheaper Dell one if you want to save $. Then get an Apple keyboard. This will turn your Powerbook into a very decent desktop. Works flawlessly. Then you can switch to a MBP C2D as soon as you have the cash.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I wanted to do the same thing, and I would recommend you get a Macbook for your laptop, and then if you really want a desktop, look at getting a Mac Mini when they get updated next time. Rumor is they will be getting updated soon with the iMac's.

It is definitely nice to have two machines. Especially for backup, or troubleshooting. It is a luxury to be sure, but a practical one.

7. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the help guys i love this forum haha

i think im going to ditch the two computer idea at the time right now i don't need to be spending that kind of money on computers but who knows

so its between a 15" CD or C2D Macbook Pro then hmmmm

if i want a desktop ill just get a screen and hook it up to that at some point in time

8. OmarM macrumors newbie

I'd look at the MB if u need portability...the just previous gen MBs are going really cheap new so give them a look. iMac's...depends if u value the screen size as much as the power really. In the budget given...I'd seriously look at the santa rosa apple stuff and see what u find.

Personally I dig the MB...my only problem is that the screen res is not high enough for what I do but for anything else...MB everytime for me:->

9. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

10. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

why does everyone suggest santa rosa over everything?

is it really worth the extra money?

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd go with the c2d Macbook. You can pick up a refurbished 2.2 SR for a grand @ Apple.

12. OmarM macrumors newbie

Improvements of the 45nm over the 65 santa rosa are not that great as people seem to believe in raw performance. If the choice was based on what I can afford and budget then sr would win at the moment...just my thoughts...