Which setup would you choose?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Apr 20, 2007.

?

Which setup would you choose?

1. Mac Pro w/ 23" ACD

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. MacBook Pro w/ 23" ACD

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 24" iMac

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

For me the MacPro is a bit overkill, but the Mini that replaced my G4 Sawtooth was only meant to be temporary. I meant to get a 24" iMac when they were updated along with Leopard which I am not waiting for. I really want a 23" ACD and short of a midrange tower coming along I will make a decision during WWDC at the latest if I don't pull the trigger sooner.

Which setup would you choose. My options are:

2.66 Mac Pro w/ 23" ACD - Retail Total $4,931 Discounted to $4,277

Base 2.66, BT & Airport, 23" ACD, BT Keyboard & MM, Applecare along with
    500GB 2nd drive (newegg), 4GB (2x2GB) add'l RAM for 5GB Total (Omni RAM)
    and Final Cut Express HD 3.5

2.33 MacBook Pro w/ 23" ACD - Retail Total $4,790 Discounted to $4,108

2.33, 160GB HDD Bump, 23" ACD, BT Keyboard & MM, Applecare along with
    External 500GB Drive (newegg) and Case (CoolDrives)
    + might need a HUB.

or stick with getting a

24" iMac - Retail Total $3,729 Discounted $3,206

2.33 upgrade, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD upgrade, 7600GT 256, BT Keyboard & MM, Applecare along with
    External 500GB Drive (newegg) and Case (CoolDrives)

Not sure I really like the idea of the laptop cluttering my desk, but at the same time I don't like how big the MacPro is. I doubt I would dual screen the laptop, just keep the lid closed b/c the height difference nor would I carry it around much. Maybe when I travel. But my wife has 12"PB 867 that is still good for the web, even though you have to plug it in, the battery holds no charge.

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Personally I'd go portability, but if you don't need it, you're paying a lot for it.

I have the low end version of what you're talking about with the MBP (MacBook, 19" lcd, external drive, and a host of usb devices), and it performs fine, and is very fast and easy to set up or disconnect. If you go portable, a hub is the way to go as you have less cables to plug in.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I would consider the MacBook but I want to do more video editing, hence the FCE HD, and I feel that the integrated graphics of the MacBook hinders that a bit. Santa Rosa may overcome that substantially though. The 24" iMac appeals because it is the least clutter and least cabling.

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The real question is what you're going to be using the machine for. Surfing the web, light photo editing, final cut express, word processing- all you'd need is the iMac.
    Need portability- get the MBP.
    Want a serious gaming/video&photo editing machine- get the Pro.

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The MBP has a dedicated GPU. I run final cut studio on it, and it runs like a champ.

6. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

MBP. I have had desktops before, always with the idea that I could upgrade them as needed. Turns out that apart from RAM and hard drives, I never upgraded. Mind you, I don't game so the videocard was never an issue. As long as FC runs I'm happy. My MBP came with the right amount of RAM wriggle room, HD, (plus I can hook up an external as needed for backup, media storage, etc.). My Titanium held for 5 years, when the display finally died. I don't feel mitivated to ever get another desktop.