Which Shell is Better????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by papa792, Jul 8, 2008.

1. papa792 macrumors member

2. FourtyEightFan macrumors newbie

3. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Can u please give me a link were u prefer to look at?

4. dcains macrumors regular

I had the black speck shell for my 15" MBP, and after just a few months of sitting on my desk it looked horrible. Just lightly brushing off settled dust, with a feather duster, scratched the plastic surface. Not big scratches you could feel, but tiny, micro-scratches that just made the finish look dull. A coat of good (Meguair's) car wax helped, but not much. So, I switched to a clear one, and it looks 1000% better, like-new after almost a year. I don't know if it's a different plastic, or if the tiny scratches just aren't as visible, but it seems to be the former. The black also isn't really a pure black, but rather a very dark gray/brown, which was a bit of a disappointment.

I'm about to buy a new white MB, and in I'm going to try a frost-colored InCase shell for that one. Check the threads here, but most people seem to prefer the fit and finish of the InCase, and since I'll be traveling with the MB, I want more durability. I can only guess how bad the Speck would look after lots of travel, as mine (the black) looked so bad from just sitting on my desk.

5. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

So you think i should get a clear one becouse the black one after a period of time wares out?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you considered an invisibleSHIELD for MBP?

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-macbook-pro-17-inc h-cases-covers-skins-shields.php

7. a4abt macrumors regular

I tried both the Speck and the InCase. Personally, I prefer the InCase. Fitment is much better and it looks way better. The Speck lower part is ok, but the top part is horrible. The InCase fit like a glove on my MBP, and it looks great. I regret spending $50 on the Speck shell, wasn't worth it at all compared to the InCase.

8. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Its seems great but would it leave marks on the laptop after u remove it? have u personnaly used it?

9. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Which ones have u tried? Clear or black? and what u think is best?

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

incase is great, i laso have the new slider case for my iphone. best case i have ever had and i had about 5 so far

11. dcains macrumors regular

It doesn't wear out, so it will continue to protect your MBP - it just looks bad with all the scratches. The clear one looks great, I think, but as I mentioned, my MBP just sits on my desk and never goes anywhere. Mine fits perfectly, too, so I'm not understanding what the complaints I've seen are talking about.

Like I also said, though, for my new MB, I'm going to try an InCase, and that seems to be what most people prefer now.

12. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Ohh.

13. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

If i get the Black Incase one. Will i be able to remove the finger prints with a wet clothe or something????

14. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

I think all shells look cheap on the MBP's but hey its your call. The clear one looks nice though.

15. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone post pics of there MBP with a incase shell on it? Please post all views of the laptop.

16. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

There is another thread with pictures i believe.

17. a4abt macrumors regular

I tried the speck SeeTru and the "new" InCase HardShell (frost).

I prefer the InCase, by far. It fits very very well, looks better, and has better ventilation compared to the Speck.

18. AprilMichelle macrumors newbie

Is there anyway you could post a picture of the Frost InCase on your Macbook Pro? I've been searching for a white case for my 17" MacBook Pro and ther frost InCase is the closest I've found so I'm curious as to whether it looks white or just clear.

Thank so much.

19. jimmyjam88 macrumors newbie

here are a couple pics of my speck case. i have owned it for 3 weeks now & the only thing i have noticed are finger prints, but they give you a cloth to wipe them off with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. pinktank macrumors 6502

21. AlaskanGrown macrumors newbie

I have had the speck case for about a year, it does not age well. I carry it to and from school almost everyday. The computer is still in immaculate condition however the case has picked up quite a few scratches and such. Keep the lil screen protector film and use it every time you plan to travel with your computer, investing in a nice neoprene case will help as well. I have an incase now, and would recommend it, fits better and the matte finish is much less susceptible to prints and scratches.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is not reason to remove it, but no it doesn't leave any marks or residue (I've had to remove it once).