Which should be my first mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreenStripe, Jan 11, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

Hi

So, let me fill you in with a bit of backstory.

I have a T61p thinkpad, it has great specs, a 15.4" screen, a long lasting battery and it's the sturdiest laptop i've ever used. The thing is, despite of having no problems with the laptop (if you don't count dealing with the preinstalled vista.. thank god for XP) I still really want a mac and I'm not sure that I can pinpoint why. I know I could definitely use programs like imovie and iphoto as I am HORRIBLE at organizing my pictures/videos, not to mention that I've never found a video editor that has worked well for me on windows (any suggestions?)

Well, bottom line is I still want a mac and I feel like indulging myself so I think I will buy one. As I already have a great laptop I think I should get an iMac and I don't mind waiting for the refresh or anything, but how is traveling with an iMac? How is it taking it on airplanes cross country, and how is it in college (i'm starting in the fall)? Also, how is moving it around within the house? For example, if I want to work downstairs one day how much work would it be to move the whole setup? My instinct tells me that bringing around a 24" computer will be near impossible, so which mac should I get?

Sorry this is so longwinded, but I've been thinking about it for a while so i've netted a lot of thoughts :p

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Truthfully, I think it would really suck trying to move an iMac from room to room, across country, and etc. Even though you have a notebook, I think the Apple notebooks are all really nice. While even the low end MacBook is a powerful computer that could do everything. A little more money is a MacBook Pro, and even the 17" MBP. Not to mention, you could sell your Windows notebook, and setup Windows and run in virtual workspace within Mac OS X, or you could use Boot Camp and boot into Windows on your Mac. I think a one computer system is way better than owning two computers, or a notebook and a desktop. The MacBooks (all three models) are powerful and by plugging in an external monitor, they all become powerful workstations.

If you want a larger display, you could buy a MacBook and a new 24" LED Apple Cinema Display. Or, you could buy a 17" MBP and no external display. Plenty of options. I think in college, portability will be king.

Good luck whichever route you go.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I was about to reccomend the 17" MBP if its in your price range.

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Room to room, occasionally would be OK (once a month, say), but it would be annoying hauling it around the country! Why do you need a PC AND a Mac? If you get a Mac, it will easily be able to run windows. You could sell your thinkpad and get a MacBook Pro, for example, and an external monitor. It seems like portability is important for you which is why I don't really recommend the iMac in this case. Best of luck!

5. Maxington macrumors 6502

6. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The 24in iMac is awesome. The Macbook Air is beautiful. Get both.

7. GregE macrumors 6502

Sounds like a laptop would work best for you.

I have a 24" iMac and haven't thought of moving it around. If you have no external connections, it wouldn't be bad other than the size of it. I think traveling with it would be a PITB. Sure you could use the original box it came in but it's not a portable computer.

I also have a 15.4" unibody MBP (just got it at Christmas). It's really a great machine and I could definitely see only having the MBP with an external monitor. Having both works well for me but that's a pretty big expense.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

You're looking for a laptop, I think. Try the MBP...

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

10. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Believe it or not, moving an iMac on a plane is not a difficult task IF* you get an appropriate case for it. Going upstairs and downstairs will be more of a hassle.

If you like your Thinkpad (I used to own a T42p), keep it. I would start with the 24" iMac and consider later getting a Macbook Pro. The iMac can also handle Windows as well so your Thinkpad would have something to "talk to" as needed. You can dual boot via Boot Camp into XP/Vista 32 or go the way of Fusion and Parallels and run XP/Vista in a Virtual.

As for keeping your photos and such in order, there are lots of softwares that can help you do this on Windows. I am admittedly not a fan of iPhoto but I use Lightroom and Adobe's Bridge on a Mac. (I do photo restoration as part of my living and that means LOTS of groups of photos, metafile info, cross referencing etc.)

The alternative is as some have said - get a Macbook Pro and a monitor. The catch is, a large monitor is akin to the iMac in moving around upstairs and downstairs. I think for college a 24" iMac would be great in your room and the Thinkpad you can take to class.

If you can live with your iMac in your home on one floor you can get a deskcart type unit with wheels and simply "clamp" your iMac to it to make sure it doesn't wobble_fall when rolling around.

Just more peanuts from the gallery

- Phrehdd